Cat Recently Started Peeing In Front Of Doors

Cyphon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girlfriend and I have had this cat in our home for a couple months now and he's always been really good about using his box. He's is nuetered, very affectionate, sleeps in the bed with us, likes to play with toys, climb his cat tower, watch the birds outside, sleep, and do cat things. We have no other animals in the house. We live in a high rise condo on a corner unit, so there's a long corridor outside the doors with the elevators and garbage shute about half way down the hall. We have 2 doors to get into our unit, both with tile on the interior in front of the door.

Recently, within the last week, he started sitting in front of the door and standing on his hind legs kind of reaching for the door handle with his front paws. We've taken him into the Hall a couple times after he showed this behavior, where he normally walked either halfway or all the way down the hall and sat or rolled over to show his stomach.

Yesterday, we caught him peeing in front of the door from the kitchen to the hall and found some dried pee in front of the other door. I cleaned The areas up immediately. I had to leave the house for work today, but my girlfriend was home and she found him peeing in front of the front door again. And about an hour ago, we were going to both go to the grocery store, and he started peeing in front of the door again just before we were going to leave. I ended up staying home to keep an eye on him, but needless to say we are concerned.

He is still using his box for poo and some pee, but has started this habit. We did not see any crystals or blood in his urine and he wasn't crying at all. I've searched the house and can't find any other places that he's done this.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this behavior and how I might be able to train or deter him?

Thanks!

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen products in the pet store that are designed to stop pets eliminating inappropriately. Have you tried any of those in these areas? From what you say, his litter is fine; he's just misbehaving. Good luck with this - it's a tough one to solve!

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I strongly believe he is marking territory. I've had the same issue with my front and back doors, but I live in a house.

That you live in a high-rise condo makes this a bit strange. Possibly one of your neighbors has a new and vocal cat, and your boy can hear them? Otherwise, he's come to regard the front door as a "socially important" location.

The *easiest* advice I have is to place an additional litterbox near the door. You can relocate it when company comes over if you hate the idea...and clean it often if you are worried about the smell. But putting a box there gives him an opportunity to mark his territory in an appropriate way.

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS - I'm sorry you're having this issue.

Has there been any change recently? Carpets been cleaned? Furniture moved? He may be acting out against it - Cats are creatures of habit, which is good and bad.

Now, don't quote me on this, but I think it is also a possibility that he caught a whiff of another cat in the hallway doorway and now associates other cats with doorways. If he feels territorial he may be asserting his dominance (I'm not sure if neutering can get rid of that completely?)

I bid you good luck in getting to the bottom of this - I know it can be frustrating, but don't give up! :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cyphon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies. I am not sure if there is another cat on our floor or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. I know there used to be a couple small dogs but they moved out will before we got him. There's nothing that's really changed around the house.

We are going to keep monitoring his behavior and we may try the second litter box or the deterring spray products that were mentioned.

Cyphon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, he did it twice more today so we are going to have to try something else here. I went up to the pet store and got some of the 'No Mark' stuff, cleaned the areas in front of the doors thoroughly, and sprayed the stuff in those areas.

He was certainly interested in the areas after the application, but he only stared at it from a few feet back and then walked off to the living room. He's now super relaxed and grooming himself. Maybe this stuff will actually work. Holding out hope at least.

Last edited:

Cyphon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No incidents today! I think this stuff is working quite well.