Cat Reacts When I Talk On The Phone

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A cat I've had for about a year has developed a habit I've never seen in any cat I've had before.

Whenever I'm talking on the phone to someone, he pops up in my lap and gets very excited, either pawing at me or standing up and rubbing his face on mine.

Though it's a little annoying at times, it's not really a problem. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before.

Olwince

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, Gimli would get on my lap and sniff the phone. If I have my headset on for a long converasation, he'd sit close to me to make sure I'm not going nuts making random human noises at thin air for an hour.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the same thing with several of my cats. I don’t know if they think you are talking to them or they realize it’s a great time for some snuggles but I pretty much had a cat on my lap any time I was on the telephone.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure they can hear the other person's voice, which is weird for them as they only see us and expect only our voice to be in the room. They smell no other humans around so they get freaked out. My cat starts acting out whenever I'm on the phone -- Zoomies, hugs, meows, anything to get my attention. I think she's "jelly" (that's the word my husband and I use for the word, jealous).
;)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Maggie does this. The phone ringing scares her and she doesn't understand who I'm talking to, so she wants to be comforted.