Cat randomly spraying

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, it's me again
My cat Helmut is a 5 y.o. neutered Birman boy, he has a little brother since a few months, whom he first disliked but now they are inseparable.
Helmut is the difficult one, easily stressed but otherwise perfectly healthy, he is regularly checked by a vet.

But today, as we were sitting altogether - he stood next to us and just sprayed the wall in perfect confidence. I never had cats who sprayed, Helmut wa sone of them, so I am a bit confused, maybe somebody can help pinpoint this?
Currently whe have my partner's little teen Brother over (who stresses me out as well), so I imagine its territorial behaviour? Helmut literally wnet up to the wall next to the brother and sprayed. It seemed very intentional. He never did that though when my two young siblings stayed for a few nights, he seems to like them a lot.
Another thing I imagine, is that since I am very stressed by the boy as well, Helmut copied my mood?

Helmut wasnt punished, I just cleaned up and put him in his bed.

Pls send me thoughts and maybe your own experiences!
(Attached is the him)

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound as though it might be stress-related territorial spraying. Make sure you clean the area where he sprayed with an enzyme cleaner to ensure his urine scent is removed, otherwise he might smell it, and spray there again.

How To Remove Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
How to Successfully Combat Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles

Cats can pick up on their human's stress, btw, so if you can, try to lessen your own stress. I know, easier said than done. 🤗
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL, rubysmama rubysmama beat me to all of the good stuff! Yep, if the teen is stressing you, I'm willing to bet that he is stressing the cat, and that's the cause!
I actually Just talked to his breeder, she basically says the same. That was a "I hate you pls leave" Action

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats certainly have a way with words, don't they?

Either "I hate you, please leave," or "MY GOD, the barbarian is at the gates, I'm FILLING THE MOAT!"