Cat raising hell

Jc603315

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my name is JC. I got a cat back in April when he was 5 weeks old, he’s now 8 months old and all hell has broken loose in my home. I know that he’s a baby but I have tried everything I can think of to try to train him and teach him what he shouldn’t do. I would love for him to be outside but he loves to run into the middle of the road while I’m home with him. Loving so close to the road just doesn’t make a good outside environment for him to be safe. I’ve gotten him 3 cat trees which he used for a while but just isn’t interested in anymore even though I put catnip on them. I’ve gotten him so many toys I can’t count, cat tunnels, toys on strings I can tie to door knobs while I’m working. I’ve tried putting all my important things up or away and he finds a way to reach every place I try to hide them. He can open boxes, open doors, open drawers. And nothing is safe, he will chew through anything, knocking over chairs and more. I’ve tried everything I can think of. Even a cage at night but he’s learned how to DISMANTLE AND UNLACH the sides of the cage all while screaming. I have ziptied his auto fill water bottle to a table leg and he STILL knocks it over to spill it all. I’ve tried wearing him out with the laser pointer before bed, but he’s still up all night no matter how much we play. And when I try to make him stop doing things he will dart under my bed where I can’t reach him. I go back to bed and it repeats. All night. I’ve tried moving the bed and clearing out his hoard of things he steals and piles under there (pillows, towels, shirts, even papers, hair ties, pencils). I’m not sure what to do anymore and nothing seems to work. I tried to make load noises to scare him off but he just stares at me like I’m stupid and continues to do whatever it is. PLEASE HELP. I love him to the moon and back but I’m contemplating having to turn him into a barn cat at my uncles farm a state away.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jc603315

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry those pictures attached, I apologize I’m a nursing major.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At eight months your kitten is now a teen. It has the energy and enthusiasm and inquisitive nature of a kitten, coupled with the biochemistry of a full-grown cat. Your cat sounds clever and mischievous. Which is good and will be a great attribute to keep you amused in the future.
I cannot stress this enough, treats and praise are way to go. My cat was once of feral kitten and was it absolute nightmare in her “teen” years. I think she got into a lot of trouble intentionally just see what I do or how I would react. But praising her every time she did something good and rewarding her with treats, she did good things and was rewarded. I think she got into a lot of trouble intentionally just see what I do or how I would react. But praising her every time she did something good and rewarding her with treats, she did good things and was rewarded And it became its own cycle.
Hang tough tern years pass and they settle down usually into A good settled cat.
Good luck

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you own the home or have permission from the landlord, an outside catio would give your cat a safe place to roam around. There are ways to connect the catio to the home so the cat can have free access in and out to the catio, such as through a window.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. He will grow out of some of what you are describing as he ages. And, I do think if you can get a catio that would help with what appears to be a very young, rambunctious, and bored cat.

It sounds like you have already tried a lot of different things, but just in case there are other approaches you might want to try, take a look at the following TCS articles to see if anything in them could help.
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You're Going To Love!
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Before I got to your picture I thought "sounds like a house panther" He's beautiful, intelligent, and full of energy. I recognize that expression on his face. If he anything like my Yoshi, everything in the world is a potential toy.

Can you put a hook and eye latch on your closet? If it's high enough he shouldn't be able to reach it even if he could undo it. There are a lot of babyproofing products for keeping cabinets closed.

A container with a latch should also keep him out. Similar to this
A fountain makes water less interesting to most cats. Try putting his water dish a bigger conainer so the spill is easier to clean up.

He will calm down some but it could be 4 to 16 mts. Be vigilant about having anything important or potentially hazardous locked away. Hide treats around for him to find while your out. Make to toys more difficult to get to. Put some under an upside down laundry basket.

These are food puzzles but you can also use toys with them Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats

If you have the ability, a second young cat would help run off alot of that energy.