Cat Purring!

LittleQuill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was recently given an older cat after his previous owners (my Grandmother) couldn't keep him anymore. He's a 10 year old Tonkinese, and he's a lovely cat. Minus the gluttony, and his grumpy attitude. He does love his food! And everyone else's, but I digress. Lol.

Anyway, he has integrated just fine, and he loves being around me and my partner. In the short time I've known him, I've noticed that he purrs a lot. Like, a lot. You can say his name, he starts purring. You can look at him, he starts purring. He will even walk around the house purring. He purrs when he gets to eat, and while eating, and obviously when you pat him. In fact, just being near my partner and I will give him a case of the purrs. He's not sick or in any pain, and has been vet checked with a clean bill of health. I've been around many cats in my life, but never around one that purrs as often as he does. I guess that means that he loves his new home and owners then? Or does his age have something to do with it? Have any of your cats done this?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie purrs a lot too. Sometimes he just sits and looks at me, purring. All cats are individuals, like some will meow a lot, so maybe some purr more than others too. :)

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, Lucky, purrs a lot too. She purrs if you look at her, if she even thinks you are going to pet her, or sees you petting another cat (she is weird), or say her name, or exist, lol. She is almost 11, but has been like that for as long as I can remember. Just a happy cat I guess.
:purr:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LittleQuill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, Lucky, purrs a lot too. She purrs if you look at her, if she even thinks you are going to pet her, or sees you petting another cat (she is weird), or say her name, or exist, lol. She is almost 11, but has been like that for as long as I can remember. Just a happy cat I guess.
:purr:
Oh really? She sounds adorable! Does she purr loudly? Mine does. He sounds like a running car sometimes. Lol. Good thing it's one of the best sounds in the world. :D

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh really? She sounds adorable! Does she purr loudly? Mine does. He sounds like a running car sometimes. Lol. Good thing it's one of the best sounds in the world. :D
Sometimes she purrs loudly, most of the time it's more a low rumble, like the volume of a portable heater. She is one of the cats I hand raised when her mother (my barn cat Spook) was hit and killed when they were a few weeks old. She actually bonded to me instantly, and seems very grateful. The kittens were under the house, Lucky's siblings were scared and hissy, none of them had ever seen humans before, but she leapt right into my arms.

LittleQuill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you can always tell when a cat appreciates what you do for them. I always find it amazing that they understand. It makes you appreciate them even more, doesn't it? How old is she now?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah one of my cats is a loud puurrr-er .... who puuurrrsss when he is nervous, If I take him to the vet, he puurrrss on the exam table. Why? Well I stupidly rewarded his puurring. When I held him & he meowed I ignored him. Whenever he purrred I felt guilty & put him down. Not to say he doesn't puurr when contented & happy. Still he is the ONLY cat I have ever owned that puuurred during vet visits! The vet had to take him to the other room and run water to get him to stop so she could hear his heartbeat. If he seems content with you, I wouldn't worry about it.
*I don't think of them as seniors until 15 or so. I expect indoor cats to live 20 years.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats purr when they're content. But will also purr to calm themselves when they're unwell or injured.

But your guy sounds like he is purr-fectly happy. Thanks for taking him in when your Grandmother no longer could keep him. I'm sure she's relieved he's in safe home, and with family. :catrub:

Is he very much overweight? TCS has a couple articles that may be helpful:
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?
Is Your Cat Overweight?
And here's an interesting one on The Power Of The Purr :purr:

LittleQuill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats purr when they're content. But will also purr to calm themselves when they're unwell or injured.

But your guy sounds like he is purr-fectly happy. Thanks for taking him in when your Grandmother no longer could keep him. I'm sure she's relieved he's in safe home, and with family. :catrub:

Is he very much overweight? TCS has a couple articles that may be helpful:
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?
Is Your Cat Overweight?
And here's an interesting one on The Power Of The Purr :purr:
Yeah, she is. She's almost 90, and she's had him since he was a kitten. He got her into trouble with the local child-care centre (Sandpits are essentially giant litter boxes to cats), and was sent to the pound. She had to pay over 100 dollars to get him out, and I'm guessing she knew it would probably happen again, so she made the decision to give him away. That, and she has four dogs. She told me she's had bad experiences with giving her pets away to strangers, so I thought that I could take him. That way, he stays in the family, she knows where he is, and that he's being looked after. She can check in with me whenever she wants to know about him, and it saves her the stress of worrying about his well-being and safety. It was a good decision all-round. He gets to get away from the hectic life of having four dogs around, and can be inside, and spend his twilight years in a calm, quiet environment. He's not overweight, in fact his long and lanky. Lol.:cutecat:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Except for probably missing your grandmother, he's in calm, quiet dog-free zone! No wonder he's purring!