Cat Pulling Out Fur Of Other Cat

Rummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I've been posting lots about my introduction issues with my two boys George and Oscar. They were having a silent argument but that seems to have passed now. They've started playing and interacting again but now I have a new problem.
George is pulling out Oscar's hair.
George has had this weird habit of biting and holding onto Oscar and for the most part Oscar doesn't care, but I'm noticing his hair is thinner in those spots. I think George is obsessing over his fur.
Bit of a background, George is a bit of a pica cat. He is OBSESSED with eating fabric. I'm not talking about wool sucking either, he eats any fabric he can find. Sheets, socks, robes, dish towels, they all need to be kept away from him as he'll chew a piece off and swallow it whole.
Now I'm worried he might be obsessing over Oscar's long fur and trying to eat it. How on earth can I deter this??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! First off, have you talked to the vet about Oscar's obsession with eating non-food items? If not, I would think the vet would want to do a full spectrum blood panel that includes checking for mineral and vitamin deficiencies to begin with. Ask your vet what other tests should be run. Health issues should be ruled out before you head down the 'behavioral path'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! First off, have you talked to the vet about Oscar's obsession with eating non-food items? If not, I would think the vet would want to do a full spectrum blood panel that includes checking for mineral and vitamin deficiencies to begin with. Ask your vet what other tests should be run. Health issues should be ruled out before you head down the 'behavioral path'.
We've brought it up to the vet before and they never seemed to be bothered by it. George is just kind of a weird guy lol. He's been doing it since he was a kitten, do you really think it might be nutritional? We do feed him very high quality foods as we work in the pet industry.
Maybe, I could just add a multi vitamin to cover my bases.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry, I got their names mixed up - oops!!

Vitamin/mineral supplements, unless they would address the actual vitamin/mineral that is deficient, would not necessarily do anything for George. And, depending on the level of deficiency, if there is one, a supplement might be needed in a higher dose than found in a traditional vitamin supplement (e.g.; malabsorption). There are other conditions that can cause pica in cats as well. If these are not ruled out, then trying to deter George behaviorally isn't going to do much. Perhaps, he has taken to eating Oscar's hair because other non-food sources have been removed?

At least ask the vet why they don't think any testing for possible causes to the pica is necessary.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since pica is definitely stress-related, you might have some luck with products such Feliway, calming collars, or, if all else fails, medication. Before medicating, however, I would try chamomile tea, which is gently calming without sedating. Grab a box of chamomile tea bags at the grocery store (coffee/tea aisle). This insures that you are getting only German chamomile (the English variety is toxic to cats, and pretty useless medicinally). Do make sure that it is pure chamomile, not one of the blends. Brew a cup, chill it, and administer via syringe, 1-3 teaspoonfuls up to 3 times a day. If your cat is over 10 pounds, you could safely go up to 3 Tablespoonfuls, 3 times a day.

Should Oscar develop any sore spots from the fur-pulling, you can also dab the tea on those. It is antibacterial, antifungal, and stops itching and soreness very nicely. I use it on both Hekitty and myself for all sorts of skin "ouchies."