Cat pulling fur out so much skin became raw- OCD?

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats (Spike) have been having some issues with his skin and would itch so much he'd scratch himself. After taking him to the vet several times and trying several times, it seems that the new diet is finally helping. it seems he has food allegries.  He has stopped scratching at himself so he looks much better now. 

However, for the last 1-3 months, he has started pulling fur out on his back near his shoulders. It got so bad that it'd look raw. I've resorted to putting a dog shirt on him so he cannot get to his back. He has figured out how to pull the shirt back and get to another area on his back and pulled fur out again until it got all raw again. 

I took him to a different vet and the vet stated he thinks this may be due to OCD and prescribed amytriline (spelling?). I'm to give him half a pill every day. 

I've also put an ace bandage around his chest/shoulders (not TIGHT) since my sis who works with autistic children said being bound helps autistic children calm down and wondered if that'd help Spike. 

He has seemed to be more mellow for the last few days and I don't know if that's due to amytriline or being bound with the ace bandage. 

I am trying to do research on OCD in cats  and cats pulling fur out and thought I'd post in here and see if anyone has had any experiences with this and if so, what did you do?

Another thing I read which concerns me is that normally before giving any medicine, the vet should do kidney and bladder tests first. The vet didn't check these before he prescribed Amytriline. should I be worried??

Forgot to add that he's about 12 years old. All of my cats are indoor only. All are neutered/spayed. 

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Instead of the ace bandage, try a Thundershirt or a medical pet shirt.

What are you feeding for the food allergies? Some cats are sensitive / allergic to multiple things. There are commerical limited ingredient diets if you want to try something else besdies the prescription diet.