Cat pukes dry food, no issues with wet?

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone encountered this? My spayed 4-5 year old girl has always been a little bit of a picky eater when it comes to dry food. Unfortunately for her, it “sticks” to her stomach longer so she’s not starving 2 hours after eating and hounding me for food…also doesn’t suffer from loose smelly stool…so she’s always been on a dry food diet with some canned every so often as a treat. The past 6 months or so have gotten worse with vomiting included. She’ll eat a dry food formula for 2-3 days and then completely refuse unless I offer her a different formula. If I try to mix the formulas she’ll either refuse altogether or pick out the new formula (so forget doing a slow switch). Sometimes she vomits undigested food shortly after eating and sometimes she’ll vomit in the morning before breakfast, I’m guessing from being hungry. I’ve tried waiting her out but I’m not comfortable with her missing more than 2 meals due to strain on her liver and the vomiting.

She was on Royal Canin Savor and did well on that but they’ve been out of stock for months. I’ve tried Royal Canin Digestion and Sensitive digestive (or whatever those names are), Purina ProPlan, Blue, and Natural Balance. She’s also, incidentally, been on the vet diet Royal Canin Gastrointestinal health when a previous cat was suffering from IBD and lymphoma (she refused some leftovers of that as well).

The kicker: canned food causes zero distress so far and she will fight you for one of those salmon fillet treats. So one might think the no brainer is to feed her only canned food but it’s really not ideal - especially in the winter when I’ll be gone at work for loooooong hours (6 am to 1-2am Monday - Saturday) and I rely on an auto feeder to keep them on a routine. Also, too much canned gives her loose smelly stool.

I’ve mentioned the picky eating and vomiting to her vet a couple of months ago, but she was definitely working on some hair balls at the time so I think the vet attributed it to that. She’s blown her winter coat now (short-haired but very fluffy) and it’s not getting better. I don’t know if it’s because it’s not the Royal Canin Savor formula or what.

Has anyone had a cat act like this? Were you able to get them back on dry food? Any suggestions?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats gulp dry food, barely chewing it. One of mine would do this and then promptly vomit it up. Two things to try. First look for a cat food that had large size kibble so a cat must chew it to swallow. If your girl is too picky for that to work then you can purchase a “slow bowl” to put the kibble in. With these bowls the cat has to fish each piece out of the bowl individually which then slows down their eating. This is the one I have, purchased on Amazon.
276C38BC-98E9-4CA3-8197-C41CD4D203ED.jpeg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is she on royal canin? If she eats fish you can expect smelly poo. Fish is a high allergin and not safe for her to eat regularly. And very addicting! Wet food helps a cat digest the fur. My cat was on dry.while on vacation. When I came back I took her to the vet. She had a stool stuck in her and was on meds for 2 weeks. There are timers for canned food. If she throws up after eating it's usually from eating too fast. If she throws up in the morning before eating, using a timer atnight will help

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats gulp dry food, barely chewing it. One of mine would do this and then promptly vomit it up. Two things to try. First look for a cat food that had large size kibble so a cat must chew it to swallow. If your girl is too picky for that to work then you can purchase a “slow bowl” to put the kibble in. With these bowls the cat has to fish each piece out of the bowl individually which then slows down their eating. This is the one I have, purchased on Amazon.
View attachment 391095
Reminded me oof the trixie puzzle I bought. Cats love it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s on Royal Canin because that’s the brand she’s always been most likely to eat 🤷‍♀️ Unfortunately it’s not a eating too fast thing. I should have remembered that’s a common cat issue and explained - she’s the slowest eater in the world. She literally chews every morsel she puts in her mouth lol, no matter how small the kibble. I have to keep a watch on the other cat who inhales their food to make sure there’s no thievery. Anyway, I do appreciate the feedback! I wound up taking her to the vet and while we wait on blood work she’s on cerenia, amoxy and metro. One dose of cerenia and her appetite is back to normal and no vomiting so far. So sadly she’s actually sick this time around.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ailish went through this period of vomiting a stomach full of dry food many hours after she ate it. It was undigested. She ate that food for at least six months before this started with no problem whatsoever. Wet food, her main food, was not a problem. I took that bag of dry food and chucked it in the trash. She now vomits a tiny hairball a couple times a year. Go figure, but whatever works, and thankfully that did.