Cat-proofing A Computer Monitor

sparrowhawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all.

I have searched the internet, but have not been able to find a solution for this predicament: how to stop my cat from accidentally knocking down my computer monitor.

Sam is very well-behaved for the most part. He rarely scratches things he is not supposed to, understands "no" and "down". And he doesn't knock things down on purpose (except drinks...I think he likes watching the water flow out of the cup...).

But he has a tendency like most cats to brush up against things that he considers "his" or things near me when wanting attention. Flatscreen monitors aren't exactly difficult to knock over.

For years I have just kept my computer monitor against a wall, but I'm tried of doing that. Since he doesn't actively TRY to knock things over, it doesn't have to be immovable, just either supported a bit more or have more weight at the bottom to keep him from accidentally sending it crashing to the floor.

Right now, the only thing I can think of is to take one of those monitor stands, glue several packs of computer paper to the bottom of it to give it some weight, and then drill some holes in in the stand, zip tie the monitor's legs to the stand. But needless to day, that's not going to look very good XD.

Any thoughts? Or do you all know of any product designed for this? I can't be the first cat owner to have this problem lol.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
You could get a largish piece of wood to use as a base for it, and then paint it black or stain it ( depending on your decor), and then drill the holes you talked about in your monitor's feet, but, instead of zip ties, use wood screws (or even bolts) to secure it t the base.

I you want really minimalist, you could probably use heavy duty velcro to attach it to the desk. Some heavy velcros are surprisingly strong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparrowhawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you use a wall or table mount for a flatscreen TV? There are different sizes that might work. We use the
Stabilis™ Home Safety Kit for our TV. It's available on Amazon.
Thanks, jcat. I didn't realize they made monitor mounts. I didn't get the one you listed but it set me going in the right direction.