Cat proofing a balcony?

nicolew1438

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I live on the ground floor of my apartment building in my complex (its multiple two floor buildings) and my cat loves looking outside and I'd like to let him outside without having to hold him 24/7 but still keep an eye on him. I've been looking up cat proofing my balcony for my cat but a lot of them are meant for the second floor or above balconies. Is there anyone who's cat proofed a ground floor balcony? What did you use? Did it work? And was it expensive or relatively cheap? Would the second floor balcony methods work for ground balcony? My balcony has two sides of railing, a wall, and then the door to the apartment.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
latice zip tied to the railing works but keep in mind it does zero in preventing. your cat from just jumping right over it i use it for more of an escape prevention incase graycie bolted outside also your apartments may not allow it so best to clear with management first. also it wont keep fleas away from your cat either big 3 foot by 6 ffot sheet of it bought from a lowes or home depot its plastic and easily cut to size with a hack saw i can post a pic later after sun rises if you want

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolew1438

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
latice zip tied to the railing works but keep in mind it does zero in preventing. your cat from just jumping right over it i use it for more of an escape prevention incase graycie bolted outside also your apartments may not allow it so best to clear with management first. also it wont keep fleas away from your cat either big 3 foot by 6 ffot sheet of it bought from a lowes or home depot its plastic and easily cut to size with a hack saw i can post a pic later after sun rises if you want
thankfully i've seen a few of my upstairs neighbors already cat proof their balconies and i've asked them if they got approval. they didn't need it unless they were like making cosmetic changes to the balcony. so i'm trying to avoid that when cat proofing.

nicolew1438

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thankfully i've seen a few of my upstairs neighbors already cat proof their balconies and i've asked them if they got approval. they didn't need it unless they were like making cosmetic changes to the balcony. so i'm trying to avoid that when cat proofing.
i'm still gonna ask (really dont wanna risk getting in trouble) but if it doesnt work out, i might look into a cat enclosure outside.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I live on the ground floor of my apartment building in my complex (its multiple two floor buildings) and my cat loves looking outside and I'd like to let him outside without having to hold him 24/7 but still keep an eye on him. I've been looking up cat proofing my balcony for my cat but a lot of them are meant for the second floor or above balconies. Is there anyone who's cat proofed a ground floor balcony? What did you use? Did it work? And was it expensive or relatively cheap? Would the second floor balcony methods work for ground balcony? My balcony has two sides of railing, a wall, and then the door to the apartment.
You might want to consider getting a collapsible mesh Catio. Basically a Screened Tent. This is the only way that I allow either of my Cats outside . I'm always stay outside when their in the Catio just to be sure there's no Issues.

nicolew1438

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i think management mainly cares about the color along with if it makes your balcony look messy etc.(thats how ours is)
True. I finally got back and decided to take a picture and this is what my balcony looks like.

Attachments

nicolew1438

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might want to consider getting a collapsible mesh Catio. Basically a Screened Tent. This is the only way that I allow either of my Cats outside . I'm always stay outside when their in the Catio just to be sure there's no Issues.
If you happen to know a good affordable one I'd love to have the link or name!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think a pop up or collapsible type enclosure is your best bet. It's easily taken down if needed. A multi level one would be more ideal than a one level but check with the landlord if such things are allowed on balconies (landlords can be really picky and restrictive on what can and can't be on balconies). Maybe you can place an enclosure against the wall and close to the window and put up a shelving unit filled with cat-safe plants next to it or perpendicular to it to hide the enclosure from view. Add a chair and table and it'll just look like a cozy plant filled space for you to enjoy :)

Look for enclosures on Chewy, Amazon, Wayfair, Overstock, etc.

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure if you’d be allowed, but what about hardware wire? It’s like chicken wire but rectangular- I’m not sure how you would attach it to the wall, maybe some kind of heavy duty staple gun? I’m attaching a pic of my catio- I have a small little patio and my dad built the wooden part and then we stapled hardware wire on the sides and top.

Attachments