Cat-proof Alternatives To Window Blinds?

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rent an apartment and every window has horizontal mini-blinds. This week, my 8mo kitten has decided to try to climb up them/tear them down in an effort to get outside. I guess her thought process is that once those are out of the way, she'll find a way to escape. (She goes walking on a leash every day, and she used to have access to my balcony, but that hasn't been enough to satisfy her thirst for adventure.)

Within a few days, ten of the blind panes have been destroyed. I don't have enough money to get a different type of blind, so I figured that I would replace the broken blinds with some of the whole pieces at the bottom. And I thought I would roll the blinds all the way up and hang a curtain rod and curtains over the windows instead. (I have nosy neighbors and I live in an area where theft is common, so I can't leave my windows uncovered.)

Well, I went out to buy curtain rods and curtains. But after a fight with my drywall, I don't think that will be a good option anymore. (None of the equipment that came with the curtain rods will work in my situation. I'm not very handy, so I think it'd be better to stop while I still have some dignity left and only two giant holes in the wall that need patching....)

So my question is, does anyone have any ideas for how I can cover my windows? I'm not willing to take down the mini-blinds. I'd rather just keep them rolled up, because I don't want to have to install them again when I move out.

I've been looking at window film. The only problem is that I want my cats to be able to see out, especially at night. But most film I've seen eliminates visibility completely. There's also one-way film, but the ones I've looked at so far mirror the interior of a room at night. Instead of letting you see outside.

Anyone have any advice? Has anyone tried window film and can report on whether it's worth buying?

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
how about verticle blinds? The cats can push it out of the way and can't climb them
I thought about those but I'm on a limited budget. They look a little too expensive to install in all my windows. :sigh:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you post a picture of your windows? It would be helpful for us to see what kind of windows and window opening you have so we can make suggestions. Does a tension curtain rod not work? Have you asked the landlord for suggestions?

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you post a picture of your windows? It would be helpful for us to see what kind of windows and window opening you have so we can make suggestions. Does a tension curtain rod not work? Have you asked the landlord for suggestions?
Attaching some pics :) They're not the best quality because it's so bright outside.

I haven't yet asked the landlord about it, as their office hasn't opened yet. But when I moved in, they told me that I couldn't replace anything in the apartment, including the blinds. I think it would be alright if I took the blinds down and put them back up again when I move out, though. The main issue is cost.

A tension rod would work if I were to take the blinds down. But would a tension rod fall down if (when) my cats try to climb the curtains?

Attachments

Johnriii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the same issue, but with 2 six month olds. we have literally had to take the curtains down and buy new blinds. we're hoping the new set of blinds can survive, since they have so many other places to play, and they most chewed on the blinds we replaced, as they were teething a lot two months ago. we're also hoping that we can one day reinstall the curtains, maybe they'll grow out of the climbing? I doubt it. I'll keep an eye on this thread, maybe I can learn something...

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mini blinds are super easy to remove/install if you don't have to replace the bracket. I take my blinds down all the time to wash them. You just remove the cover on the bracket and the blind comes right out. If you were to replace the blinds, as long as they are the same size, new blinds will pop right back in to the old bracket. No tools or hassle involved.
You could take down your blinds and put in a tension rod just below the bracket which would leave just an inch at the top of the window uncovered. Honestly though, when you add up the cost of tension rods and curtains for all of your windows, it might cost more than just replacing the blinds. Those miniblinds are pretty cheap at Walmart. Also I definitely think those tension rods would fall if a cat were to climb on the curtains.
The absolute cheapest thing you could do would also be the most unattractive option. Roll up your blinds. Tape posterboard on your windows except for the last 10 - 12 inches from your window sill. Then place another piece of untaped posterboard (or cardboard) on the sill and lean it against the window. You can remove that piece at night so the cats can look out. It won't be pretty to look at, but you will have privacy for almost no cost.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We leave our blinds pulled up and use curtains. Look up tension rods and see if those would work for you

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tension rods should work. It's basically a rod with springs inside that you wedge into the window frame. They stay up really well. I think iKea has cheap ones but any big box store will have them.

The landlord may charge you a fee if you move out and they discpver the damaged blinds. You can remove the blinds now and store them safely out of reach from your cats and just put them back in before you move out.

Do you have a cat tree? That may help discourge your cat from climbing the blinds.

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I do have a cat tree. I should probably invest in another one, though. My cats haven't used it much lately, except to just scratch on the sides of it.

Hoping to get my catio set up in the next couple of weeks. That should help keep her occupied, too!

On a side note, does anyone know at what age kittens start calming down? Haha! I've never had a kitten as active as she is. She literally bounces off the walls.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some never do. My Aby is 7 years old now and still bounces off the walls :doh:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wonder if "cat proof" is considered to be an oxymoron? Kind of like military intelligence.
For those windows that you don't need to see out, like the ones facing the neighbors you could paint the glass with a white latex paint. Thin it down with water so it just make a film that blocks the view but not the light. You could also maybe use art paint like finger paint and even do designs. It would come off the glass with a water wash and a razor blade.

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
vyger vyger That's a neat idea! I think my cats would kill me if I painted the windows, though. They like watching the squirrels, birds, and neighbors haha. Daisy-kitty even has a feline "friend" that she watches in the window across from ours. ;)

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
leave little portals for them to see out. You could make a grass and flower scene with little circles blank that they could look out so from the outside it looks like they are part of the picture.

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
leave little portals for them to see out. You could make a grass and flower scene with little circles blank that they could look out so from the outside it looks like they are part of the picture.
Ooh, that would be so adorable!