Cat Products Aren't Made for Cats?

nchat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm an owner of a tabby cat named Pumpkin and I've had him for about 6 years now. As the years have gone by I have noticed that cat products are not really made for cats or with cat owners in mind. Many times these products get destroyed easily or fall apart within a year (cat trees). Plus, aesthetically, they look awful.

As a student product designer, I feel that I should do something about this and start designing products that actually function well and look nice. I've been thinking a lot about cat trees but obviously, I would love to solve the most pressing problems for cat owners.

If any of you have advice (or just plain out grievances with current products) I'd really appreciate some insight. If you have any problems with cat products I would love to hear them! I hope this doesn't feel like spamming –– I am genuinely interested in designing products for cats, as a cat owner, that don't seem like an afterthought.

Thanks! I look forward to the conversation 😸

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat absolutely loves the Pet Fit for Life worms for use with wands but absolutely shreds the material within a week . I'd love to see something similar made with tougher material that can withstand claws, teeth and heavy play and not be easy to ingest.

I'd also love to see more durable cat toys made in the U.S. but that's a whole other story.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had recently got a new cat tree and for 1 the climbing areas are not really feasible for a cat unless they get on the very edge or jump and climb to get up to the top. It is also not wide enough in my opinion. I love the height of this one and the length but the width is just a little too small.
I have seen some cat trees where the base isn't large enough causing it to tip over easily especially if there are baskets for the cat to lay in.
The scratch posts and ramps on the cat trees are way too small short wise.
The look of them isn't great.. but that isn't a huge problem for me as it might for some people. I mean I would love for her cat tree to be cat friendly all the way around and have it look good but the look of it isn't my top priority as long as she could use it better than the ones that are available now.

Litter boxes aren't long/wide enough (the one i have is the largest one and it is still too small) I read somewhere where the length is suppsed to be the length of the cat nose to tip of tail and width I think is supposed to be chest to tip of tail (I can't really remember but there aren't any even close to that size)

Scratcher posts and boards aren't tall enough for a cat to actually reach all the way up and not reach the top (I have only found 1 scratch post tall enough)

Cat beds aren't made for senior cats comfort wise. You're better off getting a dog bed because they are meant for average 50 lbs or more so most have a very good coushion the dog bed I have has an orthopedic type material where as her cat bed is just so thin. For a cat that is arthritic they would benefit from a thicker type of bed.

I definitely agree with the previous recommendations. They are great.. The worms definitely need to be made so they don't just fall apart quickly and other cat toys need to be made where little pieces won't come off for the cat to possibly swallow.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd second size appropriate toys. I have a 17 pound cat and toys are not made for him at all. Everything from cat trees, to beds, scratches and even just tunnels are too small. Bless him, he tries to make them work. But some things he can't even fit his head into. For his litter box, we had to cut the top off an enclosed because traditional boxes are too short so he pees right over the edge of it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a lovely idea!

Cat toys often have small pieces of rubber or plastic that can easily be chewed off, or fall apart, have strings that can be chewed and swallowed and have dangerous stuffing inside.

Towers are not has bottom heavy as they used to be and aren't made to accomodate average cats, nevermind those on the bigger size. There's also very few senior friendly cat trees on the market. Seniors cannot always climb the awkward designs without another piece of support furniture. Those fluff trees aren't great for scratching, and carpet ones are now rare. It would also be great to replace the single area, rather than the whole tree (for example switch the sisal area out, not via velcro.

I'd love to see more eco-friendly designs entering in to the cat toy industry as well. I tend to hit up Etsy for items that can later be composted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nchat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd love to see a cat tree that has woven sisal posts instead of or in addition to wrapped sisal. Every single cat tree has either wrapped sisal or cheap carpet, and my cat prefers woven.
That is a great idea!

nchat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a lovely idea!

Cat toys often have small pieces of rubber or plastic that can easily be chewed off, or fall apart, have strings that can be chewed and swallowed and have dangerous stuffing inside.

Towers are not has bottom heavy as they used to be and aren't made to accomodate average cats, nevermind those on the bigger size. There's also very few senior friendly cat trees on the market. Seniors cannot always climb the awkward designs without another piece of support furniture. Those fluff trees aren't great for scratching, and carpet ones are now rare. It would also be great to replace the single area, rather than the whole tree (for example switch the sisal area out, not via velcro.

I'd love to see more eco-friendly designs entering in to the cat toy industry as well. I tend to hit up Etsy for items that can later be composted.
It's interesting that you brought up senior cats –– a lot of people have problems with finding accommodating products.

nchat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had recently got a new cat tree and for 1 the climbing areas are not really feasible for a cat unless they get on the very edge or jump and climb to get up to the top. It is also not wide enough in my opinion. I love the height of this one and the length but the width is just a little too small.
I have seen some cat trees where the base isn't large enough causing it to tip over easily especially if there are baskets for the cat to lay in.
The scratch posts and ramps on the cat trees are way too small short wise.
The look of them isn't great.. but that isn't a huge problem for me as it might for some people. I mean I would love for her cat tree to be cat friendly all the way around and have it look good but the look of it isn't my top priority as long as she could use it better than the ones that are available now.

Litter boxes aren't long/wide enough (the one i have is the largest one and it is still too small) I read somewhere where the length is suppsed to be the length of the cat nose to tip of tail and width I think is supposed to be chest to tip of tail (I can't really remember but there aren't any even close to that size)

Scratcher posts and boards aren't tall enough for a cat to actually reach all the way up and not reach the top (I have only found 1 scratch post tall enough)

Cat beds aren't made for senior cats comfort wise. You're better off getting a dog bed because they are meant for average 50 lbs or more so most have a very good coushion the dog bed I have has an orthopedic type material where as her cat bed is just so thin. For a cat that is arthritic they would benefit from a thicker type of bed.

I definitely agree with the previous recommendations. They are great.. The worms definitely need to be made so they don't just fall apart quickly and other cat toys need to be made where little pieces won't come off for the cat to possibly swallow.
I appreciate your thoughts on all these products. It is crazy to see that so many of these products have so many problems and very few solutions on the market. Thanks!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's interesting that you brought up senior cats –– a lot of people have problems with finding accommodating products.
My 17 year old cat that I knew since birth and had since he was 5 months passed only in Feb. He could not navigate our two trees and it was impossible to find something he could. We ended up placing a covered pen next to it and some pet stairs next to that.

The babies also had a hard time with the new trees but had the agility to figure it out. There's simply not enough space for a senior to turn around or climb down slowly.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat condos first came out in the 60s and many except threally high end ones seem to be stuck in the bygone era of disco, beehives and platform stripper shoes.

Cat furnature really needs to get a good update, carpet especialy shag carpet in garish colours should stay in the 60s with the beehives and afros.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd love to see a cat tree that has woven sisal posts instead of or in addition to wrapped sisal. Every single cat tree has either wrapped sisal or cheap carpet, and my cat prefers woven.
THIS. Or just use the really, really thick stuff that takes longer to shred. My cats destroy sisal rope trees within weeks :(

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My 17 year old cat that I knew since birth and had since he was 5 months passed only in Feb. He could not navigate our two trees and it was impossible to find something he could. We ended up placing a covered pen next to it and some pet stairs next to that.

The babies also had a hard time with the new trees but had the agility to figure it out. There's simply not enough space for a senior to turn around or climb down slowly.
They have all kinds of things for senior dogs, this would be an excellent idea to help senior cats.
A little bit off topic-ish, but, there are a ton of dehydrated pre-mix options for dogs that all you do is add meat and maybe some fish oil for a complete diet. We have Alnutrin and EZ Complete and maybe a few others out there for cats, but I wish there were more options like that to make feeding fresh food easier.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I did see a decent looking cat scratcher at petvalu the other day.

Ultimate Scratching Post

But that pricetag is rediculous I cpuld make the exact same thing with a leftover 4x4 and scrap boards in my workshop. I could put a combination of cardboard, berber carpet and sisal on it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
iPappy iPappy I did find some twisted cotton rope at the dollar store and used that up when I redid one of the sisal scratchers. It's held up well.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did see a decent looking cat scratcher at petvalu the other day.

Ultimate Scratching Post

But that pricetag is rediculous I cpuld make the exact same thing with a leftover 4x4 and scrap boards in my workshop. I could put a combination of cardboard, berber carpet and sisal on it.
This one is about the same size and only about 1/3 the cost.
The one in your post is 32 inches and this one is 35 inches so very similar.. that is insane to say the least...

Amazon.com

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah:

I agree. Cat trees these days seem to be made more for kittens. The platforms aren't big enough and the bases aren't wide enough. They shouldn't wobble when a cat jumps onto them. My cats are on the small side. I hate sisal rope. The girls destroy it in no time. Especially Sophie.