Cat probiotics

jessicaromano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats still has some diarrhea even after being de wormed, and new tests are negative for parasites. She is also on a grain free diet and it has helped her, but she does still get diarrhea sometimes. My other cat was on antibiotics last month and now he is getting diarrhea, he never had that before in his life so my guess for both of them antibiotics are the cause. 

I want to put them on a probiotic, but does a vet need to prescribe it or is it over the counter product? I wanted to know what brand is best, and if anyone here used it how were the results, and can it be put in dry or canned food?

I read mixed results about probiotics making some cats worse, vomiting, or dying, I want to know facts.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy it from Amazon though, as it is 1/2 price from the vet's office..... Had the different clinics, vets recommend it to me as being the best.....
Here is the link: Proviable-DC on Amazon

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We buy acidophilus + bifidus from the health food store. We sprinkle it on Chumley's food, and he just eats it. We started with half capsule, and worked up to two full capsules per day. That's a human dose... but apparently it's what he needs. :dk:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: Same here. Work's very, very well too. 1/2 capsule to start and you can go up from there as Laurie says :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We buy acidophilus + bifidus from the health food store. We sprinkle it on Chumley's food, and he just eats it. We started with half capsule, and worked up to two full capsules per day. That's a human dose... but apparently it's what he needs. :dk:
WHAT :thud: Chumley is NOT human......... :flail: (Sorry - I couldn't help this one..... :lol2:)

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet gave me Klaire Labs Thera-biotic Complete as a probiotic for my cats and my dog. She really likes this type.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, IMHO it is probably the worst -
It has one type of bacteria, and a ton of junk - the first ingredient in it? Animal Digest.
Vets recommend it because, like anything else, they have a deal with Purina........ so.......

It is GREAT when a cat is not eating and you need to entice the appetite along with a probiotic. Does it work? yes. And kitties go ga-ga for it.
But, it is junk..... as far as ingredients go, and in my experience, my cat went addicted to it, was hard to wean off (that's how GOOD all that junk tastes).... and it is super expensive too - proviable-DC is the same price for 80 days (fortiflora for 30....)

:wavey:

I gotta add something - if you have a cat that is not eating...... this is a magic trick...... it is awesome for that - so....... something to keep on your sleeve ;-)

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WHAT :thud: Chumley is NOT human......... :flail: (Sorry - I couldn't help this one..... :lol2:)
But he is a chunkey monkey! :lol3:

...back to the thread LOL, I think any organic probiotic with acidophilus is good. The Proviable, to which Carolina provided a link, also has prebiotics. :nod:

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, IMHO it is probably the worst -
It has one type of bacteria, and a ton of junk - the first ingredient in it? Animal Digest.
Vets recommend it because, like anything else, they have a deal with Purina........ so.......
Ummm not all vets have a deal with Purina. My vet doesn't and she also doesn't recommend products based on making the most money.

The probiotic my vet gave me (I listed it earlier in the thread) does not contain "junk". Just wanted to post this so people don't think just because a vet recommended it means it is not good quality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicaromano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank You, Proviable looks like a good choice.

How long do you use it for? Until the diarrhea clears, or is there a set amount of time?

The only issue I can think of is one of my cats I can put the powder in her wet food, but the cat other only eats dry food, so how do I give it to him without my other cat getting a second dose in a day?

Last edited:

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read mixed results about probiotics making some cats worse, vomiting, or dying, I want to know facts.
Vomiting or dying?  Not from regular acidophilus probiotics.  An "overdose" would just make your cat very gassy temporarily, at least that's what the effect is on people.   You really don't need to shop for cat probiotics.   Human grade probiotics are just as good, and if anything better regulated, and are available fresh from most grocers refrigerated healthfood sections.   Just get the lowest concentration acidophilus one (my grocer has ones labeled for kids), cut a capsule in half, hit it with the flat part of the knife, and voila you have a tasteless powder.

Before that we used Purina Fortiflora, and its just probiotic mixed with concentrated flavor.   Its good for sick cats that won't eat, as its like kitty crack.   It works.  It tastes good.  And the bit of flavoring in there is not a meal (the whole thing is probably 2 calories), so no worries. 

Regarding how long to put it in the food, just use it until you feel you don't need it.    At that point worse can scenario you're wasting money, but shouldn't be doing any harm.  

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vomiting or dying?  Not from regular acidophilus probiotics.  An "overdose" would just make your cat very gassy temporarily, at least that's what the effect is on people.   You really don't need to shop for cat probiotics.   Human grade probiotics are just as good, and if anything better regulated, and are available fresh from most grocers refrigerated healthfood sections.   Just get the lowest concentration acidophilus one (my grocer has ones labeled for kids), cut a capsule in half, hit it with the flat part of the knife, and voila you have a tasteless powder.

Before that we used Purina Fortiflora, and its just probiotic mixed with concentrated flavor.   Its good for sick cats that won't eat, as its like kitty crack.   It works.  It tastes good.  And the bit of flavoring in there is not a meal (the whole thing is probably 2 calories), so no worries. 

Regarding how long to put it in the food, just use it until you feel you don't need it.    At that point worse can scenario you're wasting money, but shouldn't be doing any harm.  :)
Hummm...... IMHO I beg it differently. The bacterial flora in the gut differs from species to species, including from humans to cats, to dogs, to rabbits, etc. Acidophilus just happens to be one that is beneficial to both cats and humans. Fortiflora has one single strain - the rest is really not necessary. A little bit of flavoring? The very first ingredient is Animal Digest.... and that makes it the biggest in percentage.
Ingredients: Animal digest, Enterococcus faecium, L-ascorbyl- 2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin E supplement, beta-Carotene, zinc proteinate, taurine, salt, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite. C-4583

The advantage of a multi-strain probiotic, is that it is the kitty is getting maximum benefits, and all the strains are covered.

For how long to use it?

Depends too - if the kitty has a temporary issue, use during it until the kitty is well.... Always good to have it in hands.
For IBD cats, or kitties with other digestive issues, you want to give it for life.

There has been a study relating the use of Enterococcus faecium consumption by cats, and the increase of immunity/reduction of mortality. So..... It is not a bad thing if you can spend the money - probiotics is not a bad thing at all....

Where I agree with Ducman is this: If your cat has diarrhea, just get some probiotic - because that "some" will definitely be better for him then none..... (while you are researching and shopping around that is)..... They do help a lot with diarrhea....

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicaromano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been a month and I have been giving both my cats the probiotic once a day. My cat who had stomach upset from his first time with antibiotics cleared up within a week his stolls are back to normal and he hasnt vomited at all.  My other cat who was having the bloody diarrhea is about 98% better. I noticed now she pushes when she goes to the bathroom and a small drop or two of blood comes out, I guess she has been so used to going liquid that when it solidified she wasnt used to pushing. Once in a while she has tiny bit of gas, but her stools are so much better and her appetite is better and she just appears happier.

The box has only enough left for a few more weeks. Is it ok to stop when its used up, i'm afraid of her issues coming back, not sure if they will or not.

wynnt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can't we use the probiotics in the yogurt section in a pinch?  Me and my friend Joyce rescue cats and are broke!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can try. Buy plain yogurt (no sugar or other additives). The amount of yogurt a cat should eat is one to three teaspoons daily (up to a teaspoon before each meal, assuming three meals are fed a day). It won't have as many probiotics as a capsule of human acidophilus supplement, but it may help.

Last edited:

opie catt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We buy acidophilus + bifidus from the health food store. We sprinkle it on Chumley's food, and he just eats it. We started with half capsule, and worked up to two full capsules per day. That's a human dose... but apparently it's what he needs.
Which brand did you use?