cat pregnant

xotoritaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone, i am for sure my cat is pregnant.. but i am not sure how far along she is… is there a way to tell how far along? so far she is eating a lot of small meals throughout the day, she is constantly hungry! she also had the tiniest bit of crust around a few of her nipples, but haven’t seen any wet milk. she sleeps a lot, she will eat and clean herself and go right to sleep pretty much the whole day unless she is hungry. any help would be appreciated! i can feel movements of the babies.
image.jpg
image.jpg

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She looks like she's maybe a month in. Do you have a vet appointment scheduled?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you seen or felt kitten movement yet? Usually it’s about 2 more weeks from when you do.

Do you plan to spay after this litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xotoritaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much for responding! i definitely feel movement in different areas of her belly, like it’s pushing on my hand, maybe a leg? not sure but definitely movement. yes i plan to get spayed asap :)

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Make sure to feed her up! IMO, there is no such thing as overfeeding a pregnant cat. Lots of wet food, though I have always left some dry out so they can eat whenever and whichever they want. Transitioning her to kitten food is a good idea too, both before and after she gives birth, as the extra fat and nutrients will help support her while she feeds the babies. Have you dealt with pregnancy in cats before?

xotoritaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Make sure to feed her up! IMO, there is no such thing as overfeeding a pregnant cat. Lots of wet food, though I have always left some dry out so they can eat whenever and whichever they want. Transitioning her to kitten food is a good idea too, both before and after she gives birth, as the extra fat and nutrients will help support her while she feeds the babies. Have you dealt with pregnancy in cats before?
thanks you! no i have not, this is my first time :) i have only ever fostered. any tips? or anything else i should do? or know? it’s her first time being pregnant as well. i set up a nesting area for her, but i just wish i knew what date she was going to have the babies. im not exactly sure how far she is i was guessing 7 weeks but im trying to get other’s opinions i have no clue, anything would help!! thank you!!

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is always a first time for everything. Great job setting up a nesting area, make sure it is in a quiet place somewhere that isn't frequently disturbed. Keeping your cat as stress-free as possible is key. Also be prepared to find kittens EVERYWHERE, as mumma cats tend to move their little ones at the slightest disturbance (something first time mums seem to be bad for...). I wouldn't go walking anywhere in the dark, or moving furniture, without a head count ;)

Also, if you have a good vet, they are your best friend through this. Any concerns whatsoever, don't be afraid to contact them for advice. A good worming regime can help promote the health of the kittens too. A good site I have found is Worming Pregnant Cats and Kittens, though be sure to cross reference with a vet.

Other than that, be sure to enjoy, and don't stress too much. Keep a clear head and calm mind, and seek help whenever you are unsure, and you will be fine. Best of luck, updates are appreciated!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been seen by a vet yet? I ask this because sometimes a first pregnancy for a cat can have mishaps- not saying that her pregnancy will! Its just nice to have a back up plan and a vet on call. If she is in her seventh week than its just a matter of another week with maybe a few days hitch on.

xotoritaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is always a first time for everything. Great job setting up a nesting area, make sure it is in a quiet place somewhere that isn't frequently disturbed. Keeping your cat as stress-free as possible is key. Also be prepared to find kittens EVERYWHERE, as mumma cats tend to move their little ones at the slightest disturbance (something first time mums seem to be bad for...). I wouldn't go walking anywhere in the dark, or moving furniture, without a head count ;)

Also, if you have a good vet, they are your best friend through this. Any concerns whatsoever, don't be afraid to contact them for advice. A good worming regime can help promote the health of the kittens too. A good site I have found is Worming Pregnant Cats and Kittens, though be sure to cross reference with a vet.

Other than that, be sure to enjoy, and don't stress too much. Keep a clear head and calm mind, and seek help whenever you are unsure, and you will be fine. Best of luck, updates are appreciated!
thank you so much!! 😊 will definitely keep you updated!

xotoritaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has she been seen by a vet yet? I ask this because sometimes a first pregnancy for a cat can have mishaps- not saying that her pregnancy will! Its just nice to have a back up plan and a vet on call. If she is in her seventh week than its just a matter of another week with maybe a few days hitch on.
she hasn’t been seen by a vet yet, i did schedule an appointment though, thank you so much for your response! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A vet can perform an x-ray which will show how many kittens she is expecting, and can give you an approximate gestational age of the kittens. As already stated, it also gives you a vet to call if there are issues.

Cat pregnancy runs 63-68 days on average. TCS has a wonderful selection of articles at the top of this forum on pregnant cats and kittens that you can read up on for helpful information.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
she hasn’t been seen by a vet yet, i did schedule an appointment though, thank you so much for your response! :)

You bet! Just remember that she is likely going to be stubborn enough to insist on her own nesting area, so keep a sharp lookout for her in that last week. :) I am sure she and kittens will be just fine. We want pics!

xotoritaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You bet! Just remember that she is likely going to be stubborn enough to insist on her own nesting area, so keep a sharp lookout for her in that last week. :) I am sure she and kittens will be just fine. We want pics!
thanks for the tip! would be happy to share pics 😊

Andi2021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I am totally just here for the picture updates when the babies come! :)