Cat pregnancy, not sure if she mated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok she's in heat for real, she's driving me crazy and meowing constantly [emoji]128553[/emoji] I think I'm gonna spay her after all for the best [emoji]9785[/emoji]️. How long after heat can I get her fixed? Is it okay after one or two days when she's back to normal? Bc I only can go to the vet on weekends

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her nipples don't look like she is pregnant and her behavior suggests she is not as well.

She can be spayed as soon as she is out of heat. I would think this weekend would be safe.

It's wonderful that you were able to rethink your cat's needs.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think she is pregnant at all, and I would proceed with spaying as soon as possible.

I just wanted to chime in, someone threw out 2 very pregnant, very young cats--I'd say both less than a year old--at my house this summer.  If you had seen what these two cats went through, I don't think you would be wanting her to have the experience at all.  Both of them gave birth bewildered as to what was going on, both were very tiny-built cats and were absolutely miserable and one shrieked in pain constantly, with nothing I could do to help either.  The little tabby girl would run around our house shrieking in labor while I couldn't catch her (since she didn't know the cause of her pain) and had the kittens here and there around our house...and just left them lying to die, she didn't apparently know what to do with them.  Or didn't want them.  Some were lying on the concrete mewing, some were in bushes, with placentas and all.  She just left them.  She jumped and ran after one came out.  All she knew, she had pain, this moving thing came out of her.  We tried vainly to help and they all ended up dying because she rejected them, after round the clock care and careful watchfulness on our part--and a lot of heartbreak for us.  She could have cared less about them and fought us when we tried to make her stay with them.  The other gave birth and reluctantly took care of them, but wanted absolutely nothing to do with them a couple of weeks later and went back into heat.  We hand-raised them and barely found them homes.  One of that litter didn't make it.

It is definitely not the picture-perfect loving mother cat scenario when it comes to the reality of birth for a young female cat.

Also, you would need to be well-prepared for what happened with these two cats at our house.  She could absolutely abandon them and not nurse them or care for them at all.  You would have to be ready to syringe-feed them all every hour or two, weigh them regularly, do everything the mother cat would 24/7.  That is a sad beginning for those little lives.

I would definitely spay.  FAST.  It's your decision, but after what I witnessed--I don't wish that entire thing on any cat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weekend is fine. Do not let her outside to mate between now and then. Can you get an appointment for her spay?

She will be much better off - happier and healthier, and a more enjoyable pet. You've made a good decision.

Let us know how she is after her spay.

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hbunny hbunny I am sorry you had such a terrible experience :/ I'm 100% convinced that spaying her is better now. Even though I had other friends who tried the birth and raising experience and went through it just fine.

Anyhow, so my cat is still in heat and I'm planning to take her to the vet tomorrow. But I am scared she's still a bit in heat and spaying her when she's in heat will harm her. I'll talk to the vet and see what he'll say.

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
@fatimatiger3   Thank you!  I felt so very sorry for those poor cat moms.  It was devastating to me, those poor babies dying. 

I'm dealing with waiting for one of the ferals to come out of heat right now to take her for spay.  I had JUST gotten her to come to me and got her captured and isolated, and of course, she is in heat :(   So I have her captive and just waiting!!!

Most cats really do fine through it all--but to me, it's not worth that chance. 

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so she got spayed this morning and I picked her up half an hour ago.

She seems fine, she's a bit dizzy and hides.
And she tried a few times to lick her incision, and I tried to cover by making her wear a piece of fabric but she really got angry and hissed at me, so l left her to be.

Now she's hiding and probably sleeping.

Also, the vet told me that she got ear mites [emoji]128563[/emoji] And gave me medication. But I'm worried I might get it as well [emoji]128517[/emoji] I know it's silly but I don't know [emoji]128517[/emoji]

Anyway she seems healthy and thank you all for the advice [emoji]128522[/emoji]

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
@fatimatiger3   So happy to hear she is back home.  The dizziness and hiding is partly due to the anesthesia, she probably still feels strange.  You might try a baby onesie on her if she will allow it to prevent the licking.  It's probably best that she rests in a quiet area for a while. You don't have to worry about catching the ear mites, rest easy on that.  She will feel so much better in about a week!  Sending her love and healing vibes!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did the vet give you pain medicine for her? She needs it for 3 days. She will feel much better when the anesthesia wears off.

It's okay if she licks the incision. Cats do that to soothe themselves. Does she have intenal or external stitches?

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hbunny hbunny Thank you! She won't let me touch her, she keeps screaming and hissing if I try to touch her.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 he didn't give me any medication for the pain, and he told me not to give her food until tomorrow, even though she's been fasting since yesterday.

She have external stitches.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hbunny hbunny Thank you! She won't let me touch her, she keeps screaming and hissing if I try to touch her.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 he didn't give me any medication for the pain, and he told me not to give her food until tomorrow, even though she's been fasting since yesterday.

She have external stitches.
Why does he want you to withhold food? And can you get pain medicine? She needs it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
F fatimatiger3

Yes, call back the vet and ask to pick up pain meds for 3 days. Don't understand vets who don't automatically send them home, and who try to tell you they don't need them. They do.

You can feed her - she also needs water. There is no reason she should not eat. My cat ate the same day, as soon as her anesthesia wore off.

Last edited:

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just ate and drank water too. She seems better now, she stopped hiding.

I can't reach him now and she seems fine, still tired but not angry anymore.

I will wait until tomorrow and see if she needs any painkillers :)

I have a somewhat unrelated question, my little Boo. When I first got her, she used to eat her everything I give her, chicken, fish, canned food, even bread! She used to love those, and a few months ago, I bought dry food, and I remember feeding her and she really liked it so I was relieved. She liked it to the point where I found the dry food bag smashed and bitten by her to eat more [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Anyway, now. she stopped eating anything else other than dry food, even if she's starving, she refuses to eat anything except dry food. So how can let her eat normal food again, i feel like she needs to eat other things as well, to be healthier I guess? P.S. ( I feed her Royal Canin)

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I give her any human painkiller/medicine? Just for Tonight?

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
I can't believe they didn't give you pain medicine
  Even the ferals I've had spayed came home with pain meds for a few days.  Poor baby!  I'd definitely be calling them!!

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so since the second day After spaying, she seems like she have a cold or a fever, her ears are warm. Is it normal after the surgery?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you asked for pain medicine? She also may need antibiotics if she has an infection. How does her incision look? You need to call the vet about this!