Cat possibly ate expired dog food?

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had some expired dry dog food we completely forgot about and was about to dispose of it, looked the other way for a few minutes and my cat had managed to scratch a few holes into the bag. It didn’t seem like any got out and spilled on to the ground, and I didn’t hear him eat anything. The dog kibble (Royal Canin Sensitive Skin for Small Dogs) was completely sealed, never been opened before and expired last year May (we put it away and completely forgot we had it). Smell wise, it didn’t smell too bad, it just smelled like… average pet food, not great but not rancid rotten smelling. (This could be important info: we had once served him expired wet cat food on accident, and he had sniffed and refused to eat it, Im not sure if this is reassurance that he will know not to eat expired food or food with a weird smell)

I tried shaking the bag to see if it was possible if any kibble could have fallen out of the scratched holes from when my cat was scratching at it, and non fell out- but the size of the kibble itself is smaller than the hole and could come out of the holes, only if I used my finger to dig some out, which I assume means that no kibble fell out of the holes for my cat to eat. I just want to be extra cautious in the case that my cat managed to eat a few pieces- and I am extremely worried if anything will happen to him :(

Attachments

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Unless your cat has a compromised digestive system and even if then, it just doesn't sound like enough was ingested to cause problems. Of course, keep an eye out for vomiting or diarrhea.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think he should be fine. Just watch for any signs of not wanting to eat, or diarrhea/vomiting.
I have actually bought cat food at the store that was 10 bucks off a bag, a great bargain, only to feed the entire bag and notice that the bag expired a month or two prior and no one ever had any problems with it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It never hurts to be conscientious but I agree with the above two members that it doesn't seem as though he ate any of the expired dog food or ate enough to make him sick. How has he been feeling, any signs of discomfort?