Cat poops outside of litter box

alleycat24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really need your guys help!! My parents are considering getting rid of my 12 year old cat.Ever since I went off to college my cat has been misbehaving when it comes to relieving herself. She used to pee in certain spots of the house but has stopped for now. Thank God! But now she has resorted to pooping on the carpet anywhere in the house. She has at least one episode each day. We have two litter boxes for her, one on each floor of the house that we keep very well cleaned. Over the past year we have noticed that she is getting skinner and has lost some weight. We feed her a mixture of wet and dry food. We don't take her to the vet so we are not certain if the issue is health related or just behavioral. I really need your guys help because I don't want to lose my cat. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think anyone who answers you is going to say that she very much needs to go to a vet. It sounds like there is a health issue going on and that she needs treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleycat24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is the possibility but I would like to think that it is not. We have tried switching litters and the boxes are uncovered. Whenever I see her go downstairs I follow her in hopes of catching her in the act. After a few attempts of me ruining her plans to poop downstairs, she does it right in front of my bedroom(a common place where she has peed in the past). Unless there is a physical issue that I am not seeing that is making her do this, I am not sure it is health related. This sort of act seems behavioral. Whatever it is, I don't want to lose her.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is losing weight, which points to a health issue. She is also eliminating outside of the litter box, which points to a health issue. Cats prefer to use their litter boxes. If they are not using them, there is something wrong. A vet check to rule out a medical issue should be your first step.