Cat Poops Outside Litter Box

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'm getting tired of this pooping issue and I am about to throw my only true family(cat) back to the street against her will, this topic is my last resort.

I read articles and advices, tried everything I could.

Tried different litter boxes, cat litters and sand in little and large amounts.
Every time I see the poop and the cat is around, she comes and try to cover it with nothingness, as if she knows it's wrong(but had no choice?)
What am I suppose to do, please ?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had once kidnapped an adult stray cat and it used the litter box right away, even though the box made for it was a lot worse, small and I never cleaned it(due to not having a litter spoon at that time); yet, the cat never pooped outside the box ever since I made the box for it.

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
^ forgot to add:
"So, I don't think the problem is with the litter box, but the cat herself, what's wrong with this my cat?"
No vets in my area, again, this topic is my last resort :cringe:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there are "no vets in your area", I assume either you have limited or no transportation, don't like the vets, or live in Antarctica, as vets are usually not hard to find so I'm confused when you say there are "no vets in your area"..

He may may hate the box and the litter has nothing to do with it. May hate the litter and the box has nothing to do with it. If you have more than one cat, they may dislike shuffling through urine and poop from their house mates and decide doing so is gross (do you prefer your own private bath to a port-a-crapper?)
IME, cats that crap right next to the box are telling you something is wrong. Whether that's health or behavior related, you may need a vet, whether you like it or not. If not, a bigger box might be something to look into. Rubbermaid makes really good sized plastic containers that can be used as large litter boxes, so don't think you need to spend a fortune.
If the box is covered, remove the cover. If it's not covered, consider a cover. If they're routinely crapping next to the box, invest in newspapers and be glad at least your cat isn't holding it until medical problems ensue. But some puppy training pads, place next to the box, and be glad your cat isn't peeing all over or spraying your belongings.
If you're so PO'ed about this behavior and are ready to throw your cat "back onto the street", contact a rescue organization ASAP. Your own attitude and stress may be contributing. The rescue organization will either euthanize your cat or find someone who is willing to take on this problem at best or deal with it at worse. You cat isn't "trying" to cover his poop because "he know he's wrong". My cat with raging IBD does this, and it's an attempt to remove himself from the association of the litter box and his past pain from having to "go", and trying to bury it because that's what polite cats do.
ETA: I have a cat that will often crap right next to the box. He's not crapping in my closets, my shoes, right next to the door, etc., so I consider myself lucky. He also has a multitude of health problems that are not limited to digestive difficulties, so I don't believe it's his fault.

Last edited:

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 ,
I only have one cat(The other cat was just temporary.) and I understand cats don't like using the same litter box, I already mentioned this in the second comment.
The litter box is large and was bought online, made by pet experts(?), not me - another litter boxes were placed where the cat prefers to poop. But still, only use it for peeing, and rarely pooping.
No rescue organization exist in my area either, or rather .. that's what Google map say, no transpiration to another city available and I don't trust our vets anyway, they mostly care about productive animals and livestock.

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 ,
I only have one cat(The other cat was just temporary.) and I understand cats don't like using the same litter box, I already mentioned this in the second comment.
The litter box is large and was bought online, made by pet experts(?), not me - another litter boxes were placed where the cat prefers to poop. But still, only use it for peeing, and rarely pooping.
No rescue organization exist in my area either, or rather .. that's what Google map say, no transpiration to another city available and I don't trust our vets anyway, they mostly care about productive animals and livestock.
OK, I get that, you're in an area that doesn't cater to small animals....
Totally understandable, I do mean that and many areas around the globe are the same...they cater to large animals and small animals are on their own. It sucks =(
What other cat was just temporary, if you don't mind my asking? A visitor, etc?
I can only speak from my own experiences, but it's really not anymore uncommon to see cats with IBD (irritable bowel disease). This is not their fault.
If a rescue does not exist in your area, I ask you don't throw this cat out onto the streets.
I have huge boxes I got from a basic shop for $12 +/- USD. They're rubbermaid storage containers. My cats like them.
If that fails, line the area with newsprint or puppy training pads. If the stool is hard, soft, or both (yeah, it happens; our IBD guy has really hard crap surrounded by a water thing, TMI I'm sure!) you'll be clued into if this guy has something intestinal going on or not. If he's had this going on for awhile and only lately decided the box = poop pain, I would guess it's medical, not behavioral.
Again, please don't throw this guy out onto the street.

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1

I'll try surrounding the litter box with newsprint, this might work since 1- Cats love standing on circles. 2-My cat never poops on papers.
and yes the poop is so-soft(semi-liquid(?)) and I think it's bad, I just changed the food type yesterday from dry to wet food of a highly recommended producers this time(Whiskas).

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
^ hopefully changing the food solve both soft poop and not-using-the-litter-box problems, I'll also try using a container. Thanks for the ideas.
The temporary cat was a sick cat that I pick up by force to show it to a vet, but couldn't find any, so I kept it for nearly a month and it's still sick, had to release it due to family issues.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry you're having litter box issues with your cat.

Does she ever poop in the litter box? If so, then I think outside the litter box accidents, are actually accidents. Especially since you mentioned "soft poop". Maybe she just can't get to the litterbox in time. Hopefully the food change will help normalize her poop. Try different flavours, as well, before you give up on her. Some cats have sensitivity to one type of protein, i.e. chicken, but not others.

I'll post links to a couple TCS articles that may have some helpful tips for you. Good luck. :crossfingers:

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the problem is solved now, but I can't judge from just the first day so please share more of what you know!
After changing the food, the cat doesn't poop as much as before, now it is like once a day, instead of 2~4, and instead of liquid-like poop, it is normal.

Before using the litter box, cats mostly dig a hole to do their business inside it and cover it, but this might take up to a whole minute to do this, I can tell she was definitely having digestive problems and had to rush it.

I suppose dry food is generally terrible for cats, I tried different products and flavors; all gave the same result.

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to bother but she did it again! Please help, I am now locking her back in a small room.

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama
Yes, this time it was normal and easy to clean. I moved a litter box to where she pooped, now waiting for results.
If happened again, I'll place the poo in the litter box. - then give up :frustrated:.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a digestion problem. What did she have to eat the day that she started doing it again?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she your only inside cat? Or does she share the litter box(es) with other cats?