Cat Poops On My Rug Everyday

Fairrytae21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 8 & for the last few years he poops on either my area rug or rug in my bathroom. I have tried meds from the vet, but he always throws up. Lately he scratches the wall & will meow like crazy, mainly when I'm going to bed. He ran out of my apartment & sat in front of my neighbors door, which turns out the have a cat. I'm so beyond frustrated & habe thought about getting rid of him, but then feel horrible because i don't want him put down. I seriously cannot take this anymore. Could he need another kitty, is he just being a butt head. Really need some advise, cause my vet just says kitty prozac. Please help!

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your post doesn't give enough information on his living condition. How many litter boxes are there? and where you put them? Does he have any physical problems according to the vet (like constipation?) or it is just simply behavioral problem? In addition, do you clean your rug thoroughoutly after each incident? because if it is not, he will sure do it again. remove the rug if you can for now, if not, put some plastic cover on it or even aluminum paper. Cats hate that. Once it is cleaned properly, try to feed him and play with him in the used to be soiled area. If he refuses, do it close to that area.

Do you play with him by the way? Maybe he needs some play time before your bedtime. Cats are nocturnal animals, they like to hunt at dawn and dusk.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Along with cat-mediator, I too think he needs more interaction/play. Do you have toys, catnip, a cat tree for him to climb, and also have you tried different foods? Canned but maybe also some additional kibble? My guy also likes store bought frozen raw mixed in his wet food. Thank you for wanting to work with him! I wonder what your neighbor is feeding, maybe you could try that food with your cat. Best of luck!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My female cat does this when she's constipated. I use hairball paste or treats every other day.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert.. at all..but have you tried a different litter? a different litter box? Does the box have a hood? Maybe remove the hood and test a food different litters? Also, anything strange in his poo? I wonder if once he went in the litter box and something scared him/hurt him and that could be why he is going in other places...? good luck! and I agree with the others about more play, routine, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fairrytae21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has had crystals before & is on special Wet food for that & his allergies. (Allergic to fish, wheat, chicken) this is the only food that does not make him throw up. I have changed the litter, that made no difference. If i remove the hood then he gets his litter every where. I wash his box, new litter so it's clean. I have cleaned this rug after he poops on it so it is clean. If i remove the rug, he will poop on the bathroom rug. It's in the corner of my apt, near the bathroom which is the only place for it. I have some treats, but he can only have a little due to his allergies. He isn't constipated, but i have to take him to the vet to get his glands done since his poop is sometimes is soft. His glands get impacted & the vet has to violate his butt every month. I play with him, but not as much since having my son. Now that he is almost 5, he will play with him too. This cat will only play for a short amount of time, then he is done & wants Nothing to do with you. He is a bit aggressive (always been this way) and when he has reached his done point, he attacks you. I get woken up in the morning by him loving me, then starts attacking me by biting me numerous times on my arms very hard.

Fairrytae21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can't put him on any dry food, it always makes him throw up

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, you've been through it with this furball! Thank you for not giving up. Im not sure another cat would help although maybe for some things like redirecting his energy a little bit. I was thinking this before but hesitated.... would you consider/would your neighbor consider letting the cat go over there?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can take care of the anal glands yourself at home instead of paying the vet every month to do it. If the glands simply just needed to be emptied of the secretions, it's easy enough to do by yourself. It can be messy but completley doable if do it in the bathroom where any mess can be easily cleaned up. An extra pair of hands may be needed if your cat doesn't hold still. You can ask the vet to show you how to do this or just look for articles and videos online. I have to do one of my cat's anal glands every so often.

I assume your cat is neutered?

Have you tried interactive toys? Maybe a bird feeder outside the window or one of those tanks with robotic fish? Another cat is an option you could consider

Fairrytae21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, you've been through it with this furball! Thank you for not giving up. Im not sure another cat would help although maybe for some things like redirecting his energy a little bit. I was thinking this before but hesitated.... would you consider/would your neighbor consider letting the cat go over there?
I'm not sure, i had to ask if they had an animal & it was my first time talking to them. It's 2 girls that keep to themselves & have been here for a few years.

Fairrytae21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can take care of the anal glands yourself at home instead of paying the vet every month to do it. If the glands simply just needed to be emptied of the secretions, it's easy enough to do by yourself. It can be messy but completley doable if do it in the bathroom where any mess can be easily cleaned up. An extra pair of hands may be needed if your cat doesn't hold still. You can ask the vet to show you how to do this or just look for articles and videos online. I have to do one of my cat's anal glands every so often.

I assume your cat is neutered?

Have you tried interactive toys? Maybe a bird feeder outside the window or one of those tanks with robotic fish? Another cat is an option you could consider
I tried doing the glands, but definitely need someone else to hold him down. You have to do them from inside since they get impacted. It's just myself & my toddler so it gets hard to get help. The vet showed me many times, but its harder when your actually doing it, but i was also trying to hold my cat down with one leg while doing it. He is fixed, since he was old enough to get it done. I have not tried one of those toys. I'm on the 2nd story so the only option would be the 2nd option toy. Thanks

Fairrytae21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone have any luck spraying cat nip spray around the house?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK we had a dog. Every time it rained she peed on the carpet indoors. Every time we stuck a rug on the upstairs hallway in front of the room she used to pee in ... she peed/pooped on the rug! :argh: So how did we solve it? By removing any rugs upstairs & only letting her in garage when it rained. I would try removing her favorite rugs, using a good enzyme cleaner & looking into her health issues. Good luck, hang in there.
:hangin:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat is strange - he lets me mess around with his anal glands without fussing too much:rolleyes: I just hold his scruff with one hand and use the other hand to squeeze. Most cats will need at least another pair of hands. Maybe you can ask a vet tech from the vet's office to help you? Many do pet sitting and other things in their spare time.

Someone posted this interactive toy: Just Found Arabella’s New Favorite Toy!! Fishing pole-type toys are also great. Be sure to keep them out of reach from the cat (and a toddler) when not in use to avoid injuries and strangulation. Pet stores have a variety of interactive toys so take a look at what is available.