Cat Pooping While Running

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I've been dealing with this issue for several months now. My cat is a neutered male, 6 1/2 years old, with, until a few months ago, impeccable litter box habits. He started doing the poop and run thing, and no unless I pick him up and put him in the box, he's peeing wherever he happens to be. This morning it was on the bed.

Besides several visits to his regular vet, I went for a second opinion and both recommended a neurologist and an MRI. We did that last week and $3,300 later, we still don't know. (His MRI was perfect.)

I suspect Feline Hyperesthesia because he has the classic behaviors of it, but it's such an elusive thing to diagnose. Both vets disagreed.

I'm very frustrated and upset that there must be something wrong with my little man, but we can't figure out what it is. He eats Merrick and Wellness canned food, and maybe 10-12 pieces of dry a day. He is being weaned off dry because he needs to lose 3-4 pounds. He's currently 28 pounds, but he is a BIG cat, probably NFC or MC.

I don't know what to do next. We have a follow-up visit next Friday with his be regular vet. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. And I too would like to know about the treats!

Many thanks everyone. This is so hard...
His weight may be making it uncomfortable for him to climb in and out of his box and squat. Jackson Galaxy, cat behaviorist and host of "MY CAT FROM HELL" on Animal Planet/author of several books including CAT DADDY and host of videos on YouTube, used a "puppy litter box" when one of his cats was suffering from arthritis and unable to use a regular box. It helped. Just a thought.

Honeibee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P. S. He has no problem jumping up on the kitchen counters or the bed or his tree.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peeing like you describe usually indicates a urinary tract infection, UTI. That MAY be a part of why he is running, or the pain everytime he is getting into the litterbox is forcing him to avoid it altogether. Yes something is wrong, a sudden change like this, running from the litterbox, indicates pain. With all those expensive tests, was his kidney function/blood checked? Are his bowel movements especially hard and dry? Smaller than usual amounts? Increasing his water wouldn't hurt in either case, set several small bowls around to encourage him. He may have to be confined to a small room to encourage him to use the box. Call and ask your vet if you can include unspiced pureed pumpkin, a tablespoon in his wet food, great fiber for a cat. Unflavored yougart works well too. I would recommend Miralax, 1/2 teaspoon mixed in a beaten egg yolk to clean him out too, but ask your vet first, and how much, he's bigger than my cats.
You might hold off changing his diet right now, this is most likely a stress related issue too, and he doesn't really need any added stress. Dry food can cause dehydration, but it also offers a lot of fiber and bulk for the stools. If this all started about teh time you changed his diet, it could be related. Offer shaved deli turkey or chicken as a low calorie treat, my cats love it.
PS LOL, I was thinking what you said about how low your litterbox was, as I was looking at CUPS of litter on the floor I had to clean up! I gave my little female a very low sided box because she just had her spay surgery and was having troubles with balance that first day. I might have just as well poured it on the floor!

arichey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His weight may be making it uncomfortable for him to climb in and out of his box and squat. Jackson Galaxy, cat behaviorist and host of "MY CAT FROM HELL" on Animal Planet/author of several books including CAT DADDY and host of videos on YouTube, used a "puppy litter box" when one of his cats was suffering from arthritis and unable to use a regular box. It helped. Just a thought.
My kitty is going through the same thing. So far the vet has found that he has intestinal disease, either IBD or small cell lymphoma. We just started treating him with B12 and high doses of prednisilone. Because of the intestinal disease he has not been absorbing nutrients thus the B12. So far, the running and pooping seems to have tapered off, but he still does that a couple times a week. Neither my regular vet nor the experts we have been to know if the running and pooping is a result of his disease but I am sure hoping that if he feels better he will go back to using his box regularly. It is so very frustrating. And it sounds like enough of us have seen this behavior that there should be some better answers, darn it. He has been on the high dose of prednisone for only four days...and he has had three B12 shots, once a week, with the fourth coming up on Thursday. Then he goes to once a month...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty is going through the same thing. So far the vet has found that he has intestinal disease, either IBD or small cell lymphoma. We just started treating him with B12 and high doses of prednisilone. Because of the intestinal disease he has not been absorbing nutrients thus the B12. So far, the running and pooping seems to have tapered off, but he still does that a couple times a week. Neither my regular vet nor the experts we have been to know if the running and pooping is a result of his disease but I am sure hoping that if he feels better he will go back to using his box regularly. It is so very frustrating. And it sounds like enough of us have seen this behavior that there should be some better answers, darn it. He has been on the high dose of prednisone for only four days...and he has had three B12 shots, once a week, with the fourth coming up on Thursday. Then he goes to once a month...
*PRAYERS* for your sweet boy to improve/recuperate, too! :vibes::petcat:*And welcome you both to TCS!*:welcomesign:

Lilyn0105

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a domestic shorthair tuxedo. Unfortunately, it seems like every time he gets better after 2 days of confinement he loses it again after a few more days. Just had it happen again, thankfully Thanksgiving dinner hasn't started yet :D

Confinement seems to work-ish. Thinking maybe for longer periods of time and slowly letting him out in supervised conditions would probably be better. Relatives coming in and out probably isn't helping his mood a lot if this is an anxiety related issue.
Hi! I know it’s been years but my cat has been dealing with the same problem for 7 months and I wanted to post in case you ever resolved the issue with your cat. It would really help. Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
usually means pain. find out what is wrong and hopefully it will change. food is a big culprit and any change in diet can cause this too. 7 months is a long time, did you get your little one into a vet? was this sudden or develop over time? how many litter boxes, any anxiety causing things to change? (new cat, new housemate, new neighbors, noise, new cat outside)

Lilyn0105

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
usually means pain. find out what is wrong and hopefully it will change. food is a big culprit and any change in diet can cause this too. 7 months is a long time, did you get your little one into a vet? was this sudden or develop over time? how many litter boxes, any anxiety causing things to change? (new cat, new housemate, new neighbors, noise, new cat outside)
I’ve spent thousands of dollars. Seen at least 6 vets and a cat behaviorist. Trust me, I have done it ALL. He is not in pain.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats hide their pain. Why not check him out for arthritis and IBS? When it comes to cats and pain my golden rule is if you think they might be in pain, put them on pain meds and see if helps. Cats are predators & prey; so they are masters at hiding their pain. It is their instinct ti hide their pain.

I’m still wondering what the vet thought about his poop sample and if he needs kitty xanex.
Was he declawed? Have you ruled out arthritis? Have you ruled out IBS? So many unanswered questions.

With cats you have to play detective and that is why we ask so many when we try to help.