Cat pooping outside the box

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is my 6 year old ragdoll cat. I've officially had her for a year. Some of you may remember the thread where I discussed that she had been kicked outside by my neighbors for litter box issues and they let us have her a year ago when they moved. She had been living outside for a few years and I had started feeding her and giving her shelter in my garage about 9 months before that. The husband in this family had anger issues and I think she was abused. 

They said she would go on furniture. I never had that happen at my house. She did occasionally urinate on paper when I first brought her in the house but she has been only using the litter box for urine for over 6 months. I've always had more boxes than cats but right now I have 6 boxes with 4 adult cats and 3 kittens. Well 7 boxes if you could the non clumping box I tried adding. One of the boxes was rarely used before I got the kittens and my adult cats tend to only poop once a day including her. They have certain boxes they use for pee in but they will poop in any box. I scoop once a day except for the kittens box which is scooped twice. There is usually at least one of two boxes with no poop in it so I don't think it's a dirty box issue. 

While she would poop in the box at first she stopped doing that. I think part of it was my schedule. She slept with me at night, and I had a box in the master bathroom but she only pooped in it occasionally. She eats in the hall bath though, so the other cats can't eat her food as she will only eat kibble and the other cats are on canned only. So she started pooping in the sink and would pee in the bathtub, when she was in there for breakfast but at no other time. There really is no room for a litter box in that bathroom.

Now she has mostly stopped going to the bathroom in there during breakfast but she poops in the room where the litter boxes are just not in the box. For the last two months since I brought in the foster kittens she hasn't slept with me because she would just hover at the bathroom door where the kittens sleep.So I put a new box where she is pooping, she poops next to it. I tried putting down puppy pads and won't use them. I tried non clumping clay litter in a bigger open box, the other cats won't stay out of it and she pooped on the floor again. Forgot to mention I use Tidy Cat Breeze system with pads, but I had non clumping litter for the kittens originally. 

I'm at a loss.

At least the room has hard floors so it's easy to clean. She will still pee in the box but not poop in it.   

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So did this behavior start when you started fostering the kittens?

So, this may be a behaviorial not medical issue....

Any sign of straining?  What does his feces look like (hard?  soft?)

You could try cat attract litter.

And lots of lots of cuddles with your ragdoll.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has been pooping outside the box for from almost the beginning of living here ( so almost a year), I've only had the kittens for 2 months. 

She has totally normal firm poop, goes once a day, doesn't have worms and no off smell. She does not appear to strain and is healthy otherwise. I haven't noticed her straining. 

I do have some cat attract around here I'll try that. 

Last edited: