Cat pooping outside the box because she doesn't like new litter

konuku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two 10-month old kitties. One poops outside the box ever since I got him (he probably did it at the breeder's too because it did not feel like new behavior). I have been working on that issue but so far, no resolution.

BUT this morning his sister who is normally perfect when it comes to using the litter box, also pooped on the floor! Lovely to wake up to one poop with her in the midst of pooping...and some vomit but that is another story.

I am guessing that she doesn't like the new litter that I put in one box (those crunchy crystals). Granted, there is another box with the litter she does like in a side room about 8 meters away, but why would she go there when she can just poop on the doormat?! Sigh.

So, for those of you who have experienced this, will she ever accept this new litter or is it better than I change it back to something that resembles the one she does like (Kitten Attract)?

I don't want to use Kitten Attract anymore for a no. of reasons but the 3 biggest issues are: 1) It is nearly impossible to get in Switzerland where I live and if I can, it costs €35 for a small bag (!); it produces "muddy" clay footprints everywhere because one of my kitties stands in his pee patch; 3) the granules stick to their paws are all over the place. 

Thanks for any input you may have. :)

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of cats hate the crystal litter and refuse to use it. Our last cat actually scratched it out of his litter box and all the way down the stairs, then used the empty litter box. We get bags of it donated to the shelter all the time and don't use it except for boarders that use it at home, because most of the shelter cats would prefer to use the floor rather than the crystals. I'd switch to a litter that's similar to the Kitten Attract if I were you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

konuku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A lot of cats hate the crystal litter and refuse to use it. Our last cat actually scratched it out of his litter box and all the way down the stairs, then used the empty litter box. We get bags of it donated to the shelter all the time and don't use it except for boarders that use it at home, because most of the shelter cats would prefer to use the floor rather than the crystals. I'd switch to a litter that's similar to the Kitten Attract if I were you.
I shouldn't laugh but my goodness your kitty was determined! (and I have to admit that I did chuckle out loud).

She used it at a cat sitter's house because I saw her. But I don't know if there were any accidents. The cat sitter didn't say anything but she is a bit strange. She was also the one who recommended the crystal litter. It certainly is crunchy! She pees okay in it, but she is a digger, and obviously doesn't like the texture for that.

I originally bought Kitten Attract for her brother since he kept on pooping outside the litterbox and hoped it would cure him. Unfortunately, he still poops outside the litter box but now Mimi loves that litter. She practically builds sand castles out of it. ;)

The breeder used the corn-based one - World's Best? They liked that okay too but once I introduced Kitten Attract, Mimi stopped using that one too. Rodolfo isn't very picky. Since he only pees in the boxes, he will use any litter. But pooping litter obviously needs different qualities.

Thanks for the advice. :)

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really like Arm & Hammer litter, if you can get that. It clumps really well, and doesn't smell. I tried World's Best and hated it. My whole basement smelled like cat pee. Ugh.   I also use "Cat Attract" additive. <--Link I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff that's in the Cat/Kitten attract litter, but you can just sprinkle it in any litter. The bottle is pretty big, and it last FOREVER.

But echoing previous posters, 3 litter boxes is supposed to be the best for 2 cats. Cats are weird, and some like peeing and pooping is separate boxes. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

konuku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stop switching litters and add more boxes and make sure the smell of accidents is TOTALLY removed.
I have 3 boxes for 2 cats in a 1-bed apartment so that really should be plenty. I have been experimenting with different litters because I am trying to find one that my boy likes better just in case that is the reason he poops on the floor. But I still keep at least one box that has a litter my girl likes. She just prefers to not use it when it doesn't fit with her schedule. ;) It is seriously only a few feet away in a small room.