Cat pooping outside of litterbox

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi I have 3 year old female cat. Ever since I adopted her since she was 11months old she used to always use litter box without any accidents
But nowadays she frequently poops on soft fabric such as carpets or bedsheets
I'm wondering if she is suffering from some sort of dementia? Otherwise why would she refuse to use the litter box all of sudden? She also has diarrhea and it creates such a mess
She had couple of litters of babies, does this play as a factor on her behavior?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The diarrhea is likely the problem and it is causing her enough discomfort to want to avoid the litter box. Cats tend to correlate their discomfort with the litter box and not their own bodies. I presume she is using the litter box for peeing? All the more reason that this is a stool issue of some sort.

She is too young for it to be dementia related. And, whether or not her having had previous litters is playing a role is hard to conclude.

A vet visit is in order.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. The diarrhea is likely the problem and it is causing her enough discomfort to want to avoid the litter box. Cats tend to correlate their discomfort with the litter box and not their own bodies. I presume she is using the litter box for peeing? All the more reason that this is a stool issue of some sort.

She is too young for it to be dementia related. And, whether or not her having had previous litters playing a role is hard to conclude.

A vet visit is in order.
She use to not have diarrhea when she was on purina one but them after having babies she only insist on eating wet food so she has diarrhea again all the time.. should I only give her kibbles even though she demands wet food?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is a whole other issue. Maybe the wet food that you give her doesn't agree with her digestive system. How long ago was she changed from dry to wet - and how long was the transition from one to the other? Some cats need to transition slowly in order to avoid a digestive problem associated with a food change.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is a whole other issue. Maybe the wet food that you give her doesn't agree with her digestive system. How long ago was she changed from dry to wet - and how long was the transition from one to the other? Some cats need to transition slowly in order to avoid a digestive problem associated with a food change.
She has very sensitive digestive system.. while my other cats doesn't have any issues when they eat any sort of food wet or dry whether it is expensive or cheaper brand, the cat I was talking about has diarrhea or runny stool whenever she has anything other than purina one kitten kibbles.. it is lucky for me to find this brand of food which she produce perfect hard stool when eaten, before I found this food I thought she had chronic diarrhea which cannot be fixed
But now I think the formula has changed, although she still produce harder stool when she eats this food as main food, she doesn't eat as much as she use to so I give her other food which makes her stool runny
I think the taste changed, all my cats doesn't eat it as much as they use to
the cat food company has raised their price while lowering the quality of food

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think you need to take her to the vet. Bouts of diarrhea can be indicative of more serious health problems, such as irritable bowl syndrome. IBS also makes it painful for cats to defecate, so they start to avoid the litter box as the associate the pain with the litter.

Also, "a couple of litters of babies" is really too much for a cat to have had in just three years. By allowing her to continually go through heat cycles, mate, give birth and nurse kittens you are putting her health at risk. She could develop cancer, pyometra, mastitis or a whole host of other diseases associated with over breeding.

Please do the responsible thing and get all of your cats spayed and neutered.