Cat Pooping Outside Litter Box

alleecats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have multiple cats but I have issues with two of them. My youngest cat Reid has been bullying my five year old cat Lana. She’ll chase her, hissing and hitting her. Lana has a perch that is strictly her’s that she’s been pooping in because Reid has been blocking the litter boxes. When I isolate Lana in a room she poops and pees normally in the litter box but when I allow her to roam Reid won’t let her go to the litter box. Has anyone dealt with this? What can I do?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How many litterboxes do you have? The general rule of thumb is one per cat plus one so that the cats don’t feel they have to compete over resources.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleecats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many litterboxes do you have? The general rule of thumb is one per cat plus one so that the cats don’t feel they have to compete over resources.
I have six.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Multiple litter boxes, in different rooms help. If you have already done this and Reid is still keeping her from the boxes i am not sure how to deal with that.

How long have you had Reid? is he fairly new to the home, or have they been together a while? Is this something he has always done, or a new problem?

And has Reid been Neutered? Is she the only cat he is aggressive to?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleecats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Multiple litter boxes, in different rooms help. If you have already done this and Reid is still keeping her from the boxes i am not sure how to deal with that.

How long have you had Reid? is he fairly new to the home, or have they been together a while? Is this something he has always done, or a new problem?

And has Reid been Neutered? Is she the only cat he is aggressive to?
Litter boxes are spread out throughout the house.
Reid is actually a girl and all my cats are spayed. I’ve had Reid since she was six weeks and Lana since she was nine weeks. They’ve never liked each other but they usually avoid each other but lately Reid has been going out of her way to bully her.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, well, two girls, together a long time, throws most of my theories out the window :doh:

Not sure what could be setting Reid off right now. Maybe new outside cats that are getting her upset? If you have not then i might have Reid in for a vet visit, could be something physical going on, and she is acting out? If the vet cannot find anything physical then maybe even a short term anti anxiety medication for Reid to calm her down for a bit? Might break the habit they have gotten into?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Spread out throughout the house.
The suggestion to have litter boxes in different areas, is so that the stalker cat can't be watching all of them at once. Does Reid follow Lana around all the time? Lana pees in the litter box ok, right?