cat pooping on the floor

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat poops on the floor. Last time we kind of had this problem and the vet blamed it on her arthritis. Well she started getting the soleria shot and then I quit because she had a allergic reaction. Well the pooping did stop while on the soleria. After stopping the soleria the pooping began again. I don't know what to do with this cat. I started the soleria again, hoping the allegic reaction doesn't show up. She got scabbing on her neck and head. do cats do things for spite???? I swear this is whats going on. How do i make her stop? she will pee in the box but will poop on the floor. She goes to the vets again this week, so I am going to dicuss it with them again. I do have 3 litter boxes right in the area where she is going. Every once in a while she will actually poop in the box, but not to often. She is getting blood work this time at the vets also. What do people do when they have an animal that won't quit. I really don't want to get rid of her and it isn't an option but this is taking a toll on me. I have some health issues and trying to clean these messes up is very hard for me to do. Can anyone add anything to this, I would appreciate it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats do not do things for spite. It seems like it is pretty obvious that this has to do with her arthritis. Some cats hold a different position when pooping than when they pee, and that can cause discomfort. Cats rarely correlate the discomfort with their bodies but rather with the litter box.

You can talk to your vet about Adequan instead of Solensia. It is also an injection that helps with arthritic pain. And you can look into arthritis supplements like Cosequin, Dasuquin, Glyco Flex Plus, among others. The supplements can be used in conjunction with Solensia and/or Adequan.

If she typically goes right outside the box, you can buy puppy pee pads or human bed pads and lay them in the areas where she is most prone to going outside the box. The latter are washable so they can be re-used. You also need to clean the areas where she has pooped with enzymatic cleaners to remove any odor that is left there, as that can be considered an invitation to a cat to continue to use those spots over and over again.

If her litter boxes are high sided, you could get her one that is not, but given that she does use the boxes she already has to pee, a lower sided box isn't probably going to help her with pooping inside any of them. I am pretty sure this is all about how she positions herself when pooping and that is what is bothering her.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing to add to what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner has said and suggested......

I just wanted to say" hang in there " and try not to be discouraged,the puppy pads should help make cleaning up easier and possibly knowing that she cannot help trying avoid pain and discomfort might help ease your frustration-there's no spite in her but in her mind the litter box is the source of pain..... poor baby,I do hope her meds help make her more comfortable

Praying for you and for her