Cat Pooping On Floor And Peeing In Cat Box

Melkayetx1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that will be a year in January. He is declawed and neutered. We have another cat that is also declawed and neutered and is peeing and pooping in the cat box. Trico all of a sudden in April stopped pooping in the cat box he will pee in it and sometimes poop but not always pooping in the box. We have an cat genie (absolutely love this box) all of a sudden Trico will poop on towels, Rugs, or clothes that are on the floor. I have taken him to the vet and he has no medical issues at all. So I don’t know what the heck is wrong with him. We changed food I lock him in the bathroom with the cat box I have put his poop in the cat box. I even catch him and put him in the box. I have turned off cat activation on the box to where I turn it on to make the box clean. I can’t keep doing this with him. We left for three days to come home to poop all over in the bathroom my rugs ruined and a new dress with poop all in it. I also have the plug in that is for multi cat To help calm. I thought maybe they would work.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did this behavior start with you being gone for 3 days? If so, it likely started a pattern that he is repeating even though you have since returned. Where ever he has pooped on the floor needs to be thoroughly cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner to ensure the smell is completely removed, or it will encourage him to use those same places over and over again.

How many boxes do you have? The rule of thumb is one per cat, plus one more. So, you would ideally need at least 3. How was the box(es) being cleaned out while you were gone? It could be that there was just too much accumulation of 'stuff' (or overwhelming smell) that he decided he no longer wanted to use it.

I would add at least one more box, and at first place it beside another box - it is possible that he will pee in one and poop in the other - some cats decide they don't like to use one box for both. There also cat attractant powders you can use in the litter to help encourage him to use the box(es).

Also, make sure you don't leave clothes on the floor just to help reduce the 'temptation' to go outside the box(es).

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Declawed cats will sometimes stop using litter boxes well after the procedure if the box has regular litter. You might try adding a box with a softer substrate. I think yesterday's news has a "soft" version. Or you might have to resort to keeping a litter box lined with wee-wee pads or paper towels.

If it is not due to physical discomfort from feeling the hard litter and it is behavioral you might be able to get him to use the litter box with toweling and then gradually add litter until he is back to using it.

It very well could be that he no longer wants to share the litter box with the other cat so definitely add one box or preferably two.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your pain, and we shared almost an identical situation. Our cat Trin was also declawed, unfortunately, and he always had terrible litterbox issues. He would generally pee in the box (although he also enjoyed towels, blankets, open backpacks and the occasional power strip) and he would start pooping in the box and then he would walk forward. We tried multiple litters, different boxes, and not much helped for us. We ended up being diligent about clothes and backpacks on the floor, and making sure nothing was around to pee or poop on. He eventually became sick and had terrible diarrhea, so we put puppy pee pads in front of the box for easier cleanup.

I’d definitely recommend, as others here have, to try more litterboxes and try different types of litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Melkayetx1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two cats one cat genie it scoops, washed, and drys the litter. He was fine when we got him in January and then one day he pooped on a towel and hasn’t stopped. He will be alittle over a year in January. The litter box is in the bathroom he used to come and use the litter box every time we would use the potty. I caught his this morning using one of my long dresses as his catbox. He will pee in the box. He just won’t poop. This was the first time to come home and find a rug destroyed from him pooping in it. The catbox is always clean there isn’t a smell. I can try another box. I haven’t tried that yet. When we move to our knew house I will get more cat genies. Right now we are limited on space.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are his stools hard or soft? Something has changed about his stools that is presenting this problem (possibly with you leaving for 3 days, and the poop smell not being removed from areas at or near where he is going).

Have you had his anal glands checked? Sometimes, that will cause a cat to avoid the litter box, just because something feels different to him. Anal gland issues can crop up out of no where - although they tend to happen with softer stools and lack of proper grooming (which also stimulates the glands to release). But, not always...

Although the declawing can't be entirely ruled out, it is suspicious that this would be the issue since he hasn't always done this. Not to mention, I have had 3 cats that were declawed (front feet only) and not a one of them had any issue with using the litter box with standard clay-lumping litter.

Last edited:

Melkayetx1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His poop does smell really bad. And sometimes even with being in the same room as the litter box he gets in a panic like he doesn’t know where to go and he will go right there on the rug and if I pick him up and put him in the box he will finish in the box. I will make vet appointment and see if his glands are full.

Melkayetx1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are his stools hard or soft? Something has changed about his stools that is presenting this problem (possibly with you leaving for 3 days, and the poop smell not being removed from areas at or near where he is going).

Have you had his anal glands checked? Sometimes, that will cause a cat to avoid the litter box, just because something feels different to him. Anal gland issues can crop up out of no where - although they tend to happen with softer stools and lack of proper grooming (which also stimulates the glands to release). But, not always...

Although the declawing can't be entirely ruled out, it is suspicious that this would be the issue since he hasn't always done this. Not to mention, I have had 3 cats that were declawed (front feet only) and not a one of them had any issue with using the litter box with standard clay-lumping litter.

Yes they are soft. Sometimes runny. I had stool sample taken to vet and there were no parasites. Switched droid from Purina natural inside to just the regular purina. They both did eat science diet and my other cat would throw it up. Will see what the vet says.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will poop outside the box if it hurts to go. Constipation hurts, but also if the poop is too soft, it will burn coming out, just like with humans.

Melkayetx1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*****Update****

Took Trico to the vet anal glands were not full. They are thinking it’s a bacterial gut infection. So he’s on meds.