Cat Pooping Next To Box

hfotch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have an issue with one of my two cats that has decided it now wants to poop next to the literbox instead of in it. I have two cats that I've had for over a year since they were kittens, and have always been great at using their litter box. I've been using fresh step lavender scented liter in my littermaid liter box, but noticed the litter wasn't clumping correctly lately. Since I have an automatic box, I only need to empty it every few days, and noticed after a few days since the litter wasn't clumping and got kinda wet in there, my cat Mila would then poop next to the box. I took her doing that as a sign that I needed to clean the box. Since the liter wouldn't clump, I changed to World's Best scented cat litter. Mila apparently doesn't like that litter, and since I changed it only pooped next to the box. She will still urinate in the box, and my other cat has no issues at all. So now I've changed back to the previous litter, and she still will only poop next to the box. I'm at a loss here. I've tried moving the box over where she used to go, and all she did was go where the box previously was. Any advice to get her to go back in the box?

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Do you only have one litter box? Some cats like separate boxes to pee/poo in. I would return to the previous litter and add another box to see if that solves the issue.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I would also suggest getting a 2nd litter box and seeing if she will use it. Also, make sure you clean the area where she poops with an enzyme cleaner to completely remove the scent.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I read your initial thread correctly, Mila's behavior started before you changed litter, correct? So, on that assumption, it can't be the litter change that started her new behavior. But, you can bet something did.

Can you tell for sure whether or not your automatic box is still working as effectively as it once did? If not, that might explain her change. If it is no longer working "up to par", a litter change probably isn't going to matter.

Also, as others have said, get a second box - but not another automatic one (sorry).