Cat Pooped And Peed On Guest Bed While I Was Away

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Finn is now a year and nine months, I've had him since he was seven months. He's always had exceptional litter box manners. The first time I had to leave him was when I went home from grad school for Christmas, and I boarded him at my vet's. He was noticeably upset with the whole experience when I brought him home so I decided the next time I went out of town I'd get a sitter. The first time I left him (3 days) went great, the second time (a week and a half) went great, though this time (a week) when I was at a conference he pooped and peed on the guest futon. He's never gone outside the litter box before in his life and growing up with a cat with a litter box problem I'm terrified. I'm going to get an enzyme cleaner tomorrow and scrub the futon, but does anyone know what might have caused this? Stress, UTI? Should I get a feliway diffuser next time I go out of town? For reference the sitter visits once a day and plays and cuddles with him.

Thanks!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If he only did it the once, I expect it was stress, his way of expressing displeasure with your absence or even a dislike of your pet sitter. Was it the same sitter each time? Next trip, I would definitely get a Felliway and make sure all major pieces of furniture are covered or go back to boarding him.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Although Finn may be developing litter box avoidance, I think it's far more likely to be one of three things: stress caused by your absence, a UTI or a problem with the sitter. It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things and are already taking the steps to prevent a recurrence so the only thing I would add is that if you have any reason at all to suspect your petsitter is part of the problem, get a nanny cam to keep watch next time you go away.

Good luck! It's not at all unusual for cats to break training when their human goes away for more than a few days so the odds are very good that this is what happened.:catrub: