Cat poop

BooetBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our Teddy managed to get Giardia from our little foster. Little foster was asymptomatic however poor old Teddy has been suffering with chronic diarrhea. Fortunately little foster has now gone to his forever home however I’m still dealing with Teddy’s loose poo. A couple of times he has pooped on the kitchen worktop. I’ve bleached the area and sprayed numerous disinfectant sprays however he can obviously still smell his poo as he continues to poo there and often jumps up clawing the surface area in an attempt to cover his mess when nothing is there. How can I eliminate the odour he still seems to smell??
I’ve purchased him a brand new litter box which he does use - but he still poops on the worktop too 😞

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the area porous? There should be no smell if it is a hard surface. If you can smell it, he definitely can. There are Cat Enzyme urine destroyers that actually destroy the urine/poo itself. You spray it on heavily and let it dry naturally. Disinfectants do nothing to actually destroy the molecules that produce a scent. It works on any bio-based mess, so great in the bathroom and kitchen too. If you get a blacklight flashlight you will be able to see any places that need to be sprayed, including your own bathroom and splatters on your kitchen walls. I was horrified when I saw how much was around. I took care of a basement cement floor that was used as a dog kennel and the smell was so bad it made your eyes water. It took three applications, over two gallons (a big basement), but it did remove the smell, I was amazed. I used Natures Miracle, but there are many out there, including new orange-based ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BooetBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can’t smell poo at all - only bleach! Perhaps it’s territorial behaviour? - he started doing it when little foster arrived however little foster has been rehomed now so I had thought he’d stop. He only does it during the night when we’re not around. Woke up to poo on the counter again this morning- but he’s also used the litter box!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be.....Bleach doesn't stop the smell to a cat. Enzymes are needed to completely destroy it. The fact that he started when the foster appeared is telling, he was upset and marking his territory. get some clear carpet runner/protector with those little nubs on the back and cut and put it nub side up where he returns to poo. The nubs hurt their feet and they won't go there. They are easy to remove and put back too. He will calm down eventually, it just takes time, I had this problem for many months, but my situation didn't change and he just had to get used to the change. He DID stop eventually and yours will too once he feels secure again. If it continues you might have to confine him to a small room at night until he relearns the litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BooetBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Poop again on the counter this morning- will do as you’ve suggested. He is using the litter box too, just likes to do an additional mess on the counter! He doesn’t do it when we’re around in the day - only at night!! Hopefully as you say, once he feels secure again he will stop 🛑