cat poop stains

ani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everyone, my cat is a bigger cat. By being bigger I constantly need to groom him. However being big causes many problems leading him to struggle with cleaning himself (his bum) !
I constantly see poop stains on my bed.This happens 1-2 times a week. The sheet on top of my bed is now just a throw on so my real sheets do not get stained. It is getting gross and way overdue.
Do i need to groom him more? Buy new food? Clean down there?
Please leave me tips! I am struggling

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have an overweight cat (losing weight, I'll give her some credit) who doesn't clean her booty either. You should definitely assist in cleaning his butt if possible. I used to have a very difficult time getting her to stay still for more than 1 second so I could clean it, but this is ultimately what worked out for us (needs 2 people):
-One person (my partner) is in charge of periodically dispensing a puree treat (e.g., Nulo, Churu) onto a small plate for the cat to lick off and stay distracted
-The other person (me) is equipped with a bowl of water, paper towels (honestly only somewhat useful), and lots of q tips. I soak each q tip in the bowl of water, then gently brush away poop (kind of like a paintbrush). I strongly recommend wearing disposable gloves.

This method has worked really well for us, and she honestly doesn't seem to mind at all. It's the only time she gets the special puree treat -- well, for this and nail-trimming, which we will often do in the same session.

In addition to cleaning, it is really helpful if you can have a vet, vet tech, groomer, etc. do a sanitary shave so there isn't as much fur back there to harbor poop.

Lastly, I'm not sure your cat should have wet poops that often. Are they on a particular medication or anything? Wet food has worked out well in my cat's case and she doesn't tend to have very wet/residue-leaving poops unless she's taking gabapentin or something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay great! I’ll definitely do that!