Cat Poop Outside Box

QFar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I'm just wondering if this happens to yall occasionally, or if it is something that needs fixing!
My cat pooped one small piece nearby her litter box, and she has never done that before. I changed her to a different litter recently, but she's been using it just fine for the past 6 days I've been using it. I also moved to a new place, and she is starting to get accustomed to it, so I'm not sure if it's that.
Not only this, she gets in the litter box and scratches around but thats it!

Im trying to wait to see if she does it one more time, but I can't stop worrying that there's something wrong or that it may be something serious.
Is this kind of slip-up normal sometimes?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Once in a while I see cat poop also outside the litter box, but since I have more than one cat I do not know which one of them is doing that. My guess is that one cat is doing its thing, and another cat is disturbing the one inside the litter box, and scampers off without realizing he/she is not yet done.

Since I assume you only have one cat, try to change the litter with the unscented one. Some cats do not like the scented litter. You may also try placing the litter box on the exact spot where you see the poop.

Try also adding another litter box.

You are not alone in this. Many cats here are doing the same, including one of mine. ;)

If this goes on, you may also check with the vet to verify if there are any health issues.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And this could be a single incident, never repeated. IF it becomes a habit, we need to look deeper. But any cat can have an accident here and there.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I'm just wondering if this happens to yall occasionally, or if it is something that needs fixing!
My cat pooped one small piece nearby her litter box, and she has never done that before. I changed her to a different litter recently, but she's been using it just fine for the past 6 days I've been using it. I also moved to a new place, and she is starting to get accustomed to it, so I'm not sure if it's that.

Im trying to wait to see if she does it one more time, but I can't stop worrying that there's something wrong or that it may be something serious.
If this had happen only a few times don’t worry,but if this behavior is repeated every single day you should go to the vet because it may means that your cat is ill

Zzzoidberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once in a while I see cat poop also outside the litter box, but since I have more than one cat I do not know which one of them is doing that. My guess is that one cat is doing its thing, and another cat is disturbing the one inside the litter box, and scampers off without realizing he/she is not yet done.

Since I assume you only have one cat, try to change the litter with the unscented one. Some cats do not like the scented litter. You may also try placing the litter box on the exact spot where you see the poop.

Try also adding another litter box.

You are not alone in this. Many cats here are doing the same, including one of mine. ;)

If this goes on, you may also check with the vet to verify if there are any health issues.

Hello!

I would set up a vet appointment. Small poops and scratching the litter box without going can be signs of constipation. Constipation isn’t always very serious, but it can be, so better to get it checked early if you can! I’ve had fluffy cats, and they tend to eat some fur (lol) that doesn’t always get coughed up, but will end up being digested. It can cause an obstruction if it’s very bad, and surgery is needed, uhhhh but I haven’t experienced this. Sometimes all they need is more water in their diet, sometimes it’s just Laxatone (flavored Vaseline to help kitty poop out furballs), and sometimes they need a probiotic. In the meantime, make sure there’s plenty of water and increase the wet foods.