Cat poop issue

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey! So my 12 year old cat has always been great at using the litter box. But recently periodically she will squat around the room like she’s trying to poop and will squeeze out like one drop of poop, and then go to another part of the room and do it again. If I try to approach her she will scream at me. She will do this in like five minute intervals, and it usually ends with her going to the litter box and actually pooping. She has been doing this like once a week. Any way to help her and prevent this?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like she's constipated. What are you feeding her? Has she been to the vet for a senior wellness check and bloodwork?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's been great all her life and her bathroom habits have suddenly changed, I recommend beginning with a vet visit first before trying anything else at home. Cats are fastidious creatures. When they fail to be so, they are often trying to get your attention. It could be constipation. It could be arthritis. It could be any number of less likely things too. Better to get her checked out first than to disappear down a rabbit hole of guessing and home remedies.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, what are these drops of poop like - soft or hard and pebble like? What does the poop look like when she finally goes to the litter box? Food changes recently? Or perhaps a different food before each of these incidents, since they are happening only about once a week? Is she eating/drinking fine, and routinely using the litter box without issue when peeing? How is she acting otherwise? When was her last senior checkup (blood work/urinalysis at a minimum)?

More information would be helpful. It could shed light on possible issues. If nothing else, it will help you to make a list of notes to give to the vet if/when you take her for a checkup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's constipated. What are you feeding her? Has she been to the vet for a senior wellness check and bloodwork?
She gets a combo of grain free dry and fancy feast wet. She actually just got a check up/blood work and had a few values that were a little off but I guess the vet wasn’t too concerned about it.

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, what are these drops of poop like - soft or hard and pebble like? What does the poop look like when she finally goes to the litter box? Food changes recently? Or perhaps a different food before each of these incidents, since they are happening only about once a week? Is she eating/drinking fine, and routinely using the litter box without issue when peeing? How is she acting otherwise? When was her last senior checkup (blood work/urinalysis at a minimum)?

More information would be helpful. It could shed light on possible issues. If nothing else, it will help you to make a list of notes to give to the vet if/when you take her for a checkup.
Thank you! They are soft! When she finally goes it’s a normal poop. No food changes at all. Peeing normally, eating normally, acting normally. She actually got blood work recently and the vet said she had a few things a little off but she wasn’t too concerned yet. She is scheduled for a urinalysis in two weeks. She has asthma and arthritis and has an inhaler.

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she's been great all her life and her bathroom habits have suddenly changed, I recommend beginning with a vet visit first before trying anything else at home. Cats are fastidious creatures. When they fail to be so, they are often trying to get your attention. It could be constipation. It could be arthritis. It could be any number of less likely things too. Better to get her checked out first than to disappear down a rabbit hole of guessing and home remedies.
Thanks for the advice! She actually does have arthritis, I didn’t know that could contribute at all. I will bring it up with the vet!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, even though her poop is ok, you might consider increasing her water intake, which is never a bad thing. Some people add a teaspoon or so of water to wet food, and there are some ideas here:
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite Articles

However, as others have mentioned I'm wondering if she's painful in some way as well. You're not giving her anything to help with the arthritis?

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although it would be a bit unusual, given it happens so intermittently, I suppose her arthritis could act up off and on. Is she on any meds/supplements for arthritis? You can ask the vet about Adequan and/or Solensia. Both are injections that block arthritic pain but in different ways. The former also contains a joint support supplement.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get her a litter box with low sides so it's easier for her to get in and out of the box. I probably would look into getting Cosequin to help with her arthritis. I would also call the vet and let them know that there's been a change in her litter box habits and explain what you're seeing.