Cat pooing in toilet and peeing on clothes

luckypenny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About a month ago our cat began pooing in our toilets. Then a few weeks ago she began peeing on clothing in our bedroom (usually my husbands). I read alot of potential reasons/solutions for the peeing, but I was curious about what might be going on since she is pooing also. I don't mind her using the toilet but that peeing needs to stop. She has had no previous litter box/bathroom issues. We have also been cleaning her litter more frequnetly, have given her a large litter box and have used 2 different brands of litter.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may need a vet check up. Sometimes cats will quit using their litter box when they are ill. I would have her checked for a UTI - urinary tract infection. Do you have other cats? Anything new around your house?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the simplest solution : Pick up your dirty clothes and put them in the hamper.
Many cats will pee on dirty clothes left down on the floor, and really clothes shouldn't be left there anyways so I no way can I blame a cat for doing it.

Two things will make a cat pee like that. A UTI, which requires prompt treatment. And scent marking since the dirty clothes smell strongly.

So take your cat to the vet for this and pick up after yourselves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckypenny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have no other cats, but do have a dog who has never had an accident in the house. All floor were new before we adopted her. There hasn't been anything new to her environment. She pees on the folded clean laundry as well as dirty.
I will schedule her for the vet. But was curious if there was something behaviorally going on since she is choosing to poo in the toilet. (we didn't teach her this)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could possibly be UTI caused, too, but some types of wild cats will poop and pee in/near water. Bengal and other hybrid owners will sometimes encounter it with a cat that prefers to poop in their tub/shower or sink.
But with your cat she may have just figured it out on her own due to either seeing people use the toilet or from the smell of the toilet. Cats can be surprisingly clever sometimes.

She can't pee on clothing that is not left out. Put your folded clothes away after you're done folding them. If for some reason you can't do this, put the basket in a room or closet that you can shut her out of. But again, picking up after yourselves is the easiest solution to preventing a bad behavior becoming a life long habit no matter what the initiating cause is.

Some will also tell you that you need to use a proper enzyme cleaner made for removing cat urine. And when you can do this with urinated on items you should - but I do understand that some clothing will not allow this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckypenny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had read that adding a cup of vinegar to your laundry will help nuetralize the enzymes. Is this a falsehood? I try to use as little chemicals as I can.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't. Urine has componets in it that are very resistant to being broken down. The enzyme cleaners do this though.

mommysugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this was suggested yet, but I learned that some cats like to have 2 boxes. One box to do business in and the other to make wees in!

And then if you have 2 cats you will need 3 boxes. It's worth a shot and relatively cheap if you have not yet tried it! good luck

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyPenny

About a month ago our cat began pooing in our toilets. Then a few weeks ago she began peeing on clothing in our bedroom (usually my husbands). I read alot of potential reasons/solutions for the peeing, but I was curious about what might be going on since she is pooing also. I don't mind her using the toilet but that peeing needs to stop. She has had no previous litter box/bathroom issues. We have also been cleaning her litter more frequnetly, have given her a large litter box and have used 2 different brands of litter.

Any thoughts? Thank you!
Hmm... First off eliminate the possibility of a UTI with a vet visit. UTIs can cause a cat to pee where it normally would not pee. Pick up the clothes and put them away. Your scent will attract them. If you're wearing the clothes after laundering them, the urine scent may still be there even though you can't see or smell it. Commercial cleaners do not get the enzymes out and the urine scent can still remain on the clothing. Only use an enzyme cleaner when trying to remove urine and stains. Some commercial cleaners will even attract the cat back to the spot. And yes, as someone else suggested, try putting out an additional litter box.

I don't know what to say about the pooping in the toilet. I wish I could train mine to poop AND pee in the toilet
Best of luckhttp://www.thecatsite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif