Cat Pooing Every 3-4 Days

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Marcy is 3 years old, a couple months ago the food I was giving her got taken off the shelves so I changed her to go cat which caused her to have diarrhoea the vet then told me to put her on hypoallergenic cat food which I did about 6 weeks ago, I eased her into it within 4 day ( as it says on the packet) but ever since she has been going poo every 3-4 days not everyday like she use to, 3 weeks ago I took her to the vets for it and they said there was nothing wrong with her but now for the past 2 days she isn’t eating as much as she use to and is also sleeping more but when she is awake she is very active like a kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I forgot to say that she is also a indoor cat and has never been outside

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be that she is constipated. Are her poops a normal consistency or do they appear harder? Can you try introducing a limited ingredient wet food in her diet?

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be that she is constipated. Are her poops a normal consistency or do they appear harder? Can you try introducing a limited ingredient wet food in her diet?
Her poo is normal and when she does go it doesn’t seem like she has to force is or anything

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should reduce the amount of dry food you are feeding and feed some wet. Your cat sounds constipated. Moisture is very important for cats, adding some wet food to the diet will help.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could also be that the food doesn't have as many fillers and she is absorbing it and so doesn't have much to eliminate. I'd still try adding some good wet food, though.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could also be that the food doesn't have as many fillers and she is absorbing it and so doesn't have much to eliminate. I'd still try adding some good wet food, though.
That would be quite rare for a dry food. I have yet to come across one that doesn't bulk poop. Four days is a long time to go without poop, even on a raw food diet.

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just added some wet to the dry and she has eaten it very fast, could she not like the taste of the dry? As she use to have tastier dry food than this

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just added some wet to the dry and she has eaten it very fast, could she not like the taste of the dry? As she use to have tastier dry food than this
If she likes the wet then I would just feed her more of that than the dry. Wet food is healthier for cats anyway. But be careful to do a slow transition as sometimes it can upset their tummies to suddenly change their diet at once.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What was her discontinued old food? and what is the recommended vet food she is on?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible that she likes the wet more than the dry. I would feed her mainly wet (you can add water to it to increase water intake) and supplement with some dry "snacks". You can also add a bit of plain pureed pumpkin (no spices or seasonings) which helps keep things moving.

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What was her discontinued old food? and what is the recommended vet food she is on?
She was on ultima sterilised. She is now on weinwrights hypoallergenic