cat pokes himself in the eye

zemiq1982

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I've got another question I've been dying to ask other cat owners. Does your cat poke himself in the eye a lot? My cat Russel is one of the smartest cats I think I've ever had. But he is constantly poking stuff in his eye when he rubs on it. The corners of tables, chairs, your fingers and toes, you name it, he'll poke it in his eye.

Most of the time his eye waters a little and then it gets better after a few minutes. A couple of times he's irritated it badly enough that I had to get eye drops from the vet.

Like I said, he's a smart cat, but if you put your hand out to pet him, sometimes he'll walk up to you and stick it right in his eye! I'd say he does it about once a week.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy does that sometimes. Not bad enough to warrant a vet visit though. Sami, our old girl, scratches her eyes with her nails a lot though, some times she makes them bleed a bit.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it a particular eye? Have you checked around the eye area? Maybe something itches?
I've never seen my cats poke their eyes unless it was an accident or an insect bite.