Cat Play Aggression

NyxHemera45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so I posted about this before and read a lot of articles on here but I'm still having a problem with my cats play aggression.
It's becoming more and more of a problem and is hurting me and my friends/family. (Her favorite thing is feet and bare legs)
I try to distract her but it doesn't get rid of the problem, I'm not keen on spray bottling her, and when I try to pick her up and get her away she just comes back with more of a playful (and after a while irritated) presence.
The last few times she snuck up on me, drew blood, and I ended up instinctively pushing her off and she got defensively aggressive (no major aggression but it wasn't all playful)
I really need help as I want the best for her and for me and I don't want to hurt her connection with me by fixing this wrong.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is she? Has she been spayed?

It's definitely not "love bites" if she is drawing blood. Or was it her claws that scratched you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NyxHemera45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Has she been spayed?

It's definitely not "love bites" if she is drawing blood. Or was it her claws that scratched you?
She's one year and 3 months
It was her claws. I trim them but they still catch sometimes. She is spayed, was spayed before I adopted her (at 10 months)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since it was her claws, it was probably more an accident, than intentional. My Ruby actually stretched yesterday and one of her claws dug into my foot. She hates getting her claws trimmed, so they tend to be long and sharp more often than not.

When she clawed me, I yelped "owww, owww, owww" and she looked at me and think realized she hurt me. So when your girl scratches you, do the same thing.

I'm glad you don't do the spray bottle thing. Cats don't really understand discipline, and it's more likely to make them scared of you. TCS has a few articles with more info that may be helpful.

How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats
Cat Aggression Toward People
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so I posted about this before and read a lot of articles on here but I'm still having a problem with my cats play aggression.
It's becoming more and more of a problem and is hurting me and my friends/family. (Her favorite thing is feet and bare legs)
I try to distract her but it doesn't get rid of the problem, I'm not keen on spray bottling her, and when I try to pick her up and get her away she just comes back with more of a playful (and after a while irritated) presence.
The last few times she snuck up on me, drew blood, and I ended up instinctively pushing her off and she got defensively aggressive (no major aggression but it wasn't all playful)
I really need help as I want the best for her and for me and I don't want to hurt her connection with me by fixing this wrong.
My advice is to make sure she gets lots of interactive playing with stimulating toys so that she's not ready to attack anything that moves. Not just after an attack, but throughout the day. Even if the source of the issue isn't only that she has too much energy, it still can't hurt to try! A sleepy cat is a tame cat. Best of luck! ^^

NyxHemera45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she is rambunctious kitty. And recently she has been more antsy than usual, it's hard to find play time with her with school now (even with 1 hour walks and play time at least 30 minutes)
I've thought about a playmate but I cant get another cat cause of housing rules.
Any suggestions on good toys? I'm having a hard time finding things she can play with on her own.
Thanks for all the advice people! :)

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something with catnip. Where I go for kaleb's food sells dynamite sticks that are long enough for kitty to grab with his/her front legs and kick with the hind legs. Kaleb gets aggressive from time to time and when he got this he really went wild on it.

Usually catnip will excite a cat and they'll get amped up and it'll help get some of that energy and aggression out. It's like a release.

Petstages Dynamite Catnip Toy Fetch and Bat Toy for Cats, Green Magic Dynamite by
This might be an even better idea .....

REFILLABLE 15" Catnip Cat Kicker Toys / Kitty Kick Sticks / Cat Kick Stix (Blue #1)

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When mine were younger they loved a ping pong ball in the bathtub. I suggest rotating toys. I’ll put something away for a few weeks and then they will be interested again.

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have ordered Comfort Zone Feliway Diffuser Kit for Cat Calming, which I am expecting to receive in a few days (although, I am not sure if I need it, as one of my cat gets aggressive only if I pick him up, not at normal time). I will let you know on this thread if it works.
We all want to know how it works! I've heard of feliway but have forgotten what it is. I've heard it works but is not a cure all.

I will have to look for the oil, and get a better diffuser..

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We all want to know how it works! I've heard of feliway but have forgotten what it is. I've heard it works but is not a cure all.

I will have to look for the oil, and get a better diffuser..
Sorry to disappoint you, but my order got cancelled.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahhh, still having issues with this so I'm happy to see threads with more advice (though sorry about your issues). We're at over two years now and STILL play aggression, plus biting bare legs and feet.

One thing that has worked for me is long pants. It's basically if I can tolerate it, he'll realize there's no fun to be had and stop. I get that isn't always possible to do, but if you have long pants on then you can just stand still and ignore the biting.

I HAVE had to do the spray bottle which I'm ashamed of, but I can see the look in his eye and if I grab the bottle and shake it he quits immediately. I've only actually sprayed him twice over two years. I also recently realized clapping deters him, so the sound ideas suggested are good to go with.

Other than that, it's play as much as possible...

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At what point do you decide that your cat is too aggressive? Kaleb seems to get rather frustrated at time with his toys. But I can't really tell. He knows when he bites too hard. I thinks cats are smart enough to know. Sometimes he takes a toy with his mouth and jerks it away. Other times he is playing with his dynamite stick and he won't stop kicking it with his hind legs. And he is rough.

I'm wondering if maybe something is upsetting to him, or he doesn't get enough play.

NyxHemera45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At what point do you decide that your cat is too aggressive? Kaleb seems to get rather frustrated at time with his toys. But I can't really tell. He knows when he bites too hard. I thinks cats are smart enough to know. Sometimes he takes a toy with his mouth and jerks it away. Other times he is playing with his dynamite stick and he won't stop kicking it with his hind legs. And he is rough.

I'm wondering if maybe something is upsetting to him, or he doesn't get enough play.
She was a shelter cat so I think she never got the necessary training of how hard is too hard of a bite, (and cause I'm not a cat I'm not sure how to teacher her. ) she doesn't listen to a stern "no!" Or ouch or anything.
And especially because I'm starting school soon so although I'll still play with her my usual amount but I won't be able to give her any more time than that.

NyxHemera45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought about fostering a cat to be her companion and sort of teacher her the ropes of interaction, providing food and taking care of another cat along with her seems like it might be a little too much right now

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was a shelter cat so I think she never got the necessary training of how hard is too hard of a bite, (and cause I'm not a cat I'm not sure how to teacher her. ) she doesn't listen to a stern "no!" Or ouch or anything.
And especially because I'm starting school soon so although I'll still play with her my usual amount but I won't be able to give her any more time than that.
I know how you feel. I'd love to be home to tend to Kaleb. I'm sure I could get him to soften up. Ah well, I think to them all that matters is they have what's necessary.