Cat picking on kitten.

angelap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat at 2 years old has been fighting with the kitten who is about 8 months for the past couple of weeks I have tried keeping them separated and and only having them together when I am in also spraying water on the older one but nothing is working to stop her atacking the kitten. Today the older cat attacked the kitten really badly and drew blood for the first time, anyone know what I could do to stop the fighting as I don't want to get rid of either of them and don't want them to get badly injured.

Last edited:

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How did you introduce them to each other?

Try rewarding them when they're together. Feed them in the same room (far away from each other to start), give them treats, have communal playtime. Rub a washcloth on one, then the other, then the original cat again. As my vet says, "It's hard to hate and hiss at something that smells like you."

Do you have enough resources for both of them so they don't feel like they need to compete? 3 litter boxes for 2 cats, plenty of water bowls, lots of toys and beds, etc?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to start over and reintroduce them. Follow Jackson Galaxy's videos. They live completely separately and are fed at the same time, with a gradually decreasing barrier between them. You will also switch their rooms around so they both gain confidence in all areas of the house. You will need litter boxes, food and water bowls for each, etc. This will not resolve on its own. This could take weeks or months - go at their pace.

Do not spray them with water. It makes them afraid of you, but does not teach them not to do the problematic behavior. It also makes them think they can still do it when you're not around.

Are they both fixed?