cat picking and eating blackberries!

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat loves raspberries and especially blackberrys. When we go on our daily walks in a leash she runs to the place where they grow and wants me to pick some to give to her.  Two weeks ago I noticed that she has learnt how to pick them herself. I´ve got it on video, but it could not be uploaded....

She grabs the berry in her mouth and pulls. Not beeing bothered by the thorns at all, and get the berry off the branch. Chews very content with herself..... and picks some more...

I  think that it could be no harm with some extra fibres and vitamins? Have you seen anything like it?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some pet food (canned and dry) have blueberries and cranberries in them, so I guess raspberries and blackberries are okay.
If of course she starts having diarrhea, then I'd be concerned.
I wonder if the action is sort of hunt and prey driven--does she like the 'game' or the taste more?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strawberries are listed as dangerous to cats to ingest.  But, the other berries are not.  Blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries are fine for them to eat and some cats actually enjoy them.  Other fruits OK and even good for cats are papaya and watermelon or any melon.