cat personality change after new addition

dearladydisdain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 month old cat and a 3 month old kitten--they have been together for two months now. They get along great, so there's no issue there. The play and race around and wrestle, etc.....However, I am disappointed that since I got the new kitten my first cat has rejected me and other people. He was well socialized as a kitten--met various family and friends on a regular basis and has even been introduced to other cats (which he all got along with). I thought that maybe he was jealous, but have been trying to show him extra attention for the past few weeks. Every time I come home, I give him a treat and call his name and pet him very lightly. I go out of my way to play with him and show him attention without trying to be overbaring. However, he is now just a skiddish and nervous cat--constantly jumping at any little noise, which he never used to do. What is going on? I went from having a wonderful cat to an antisocial nervous kitty--it's sad! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated--perhaps someone else out there has experienced something similar? Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dearladydisdain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also--quick question--how do you set up an avatar here? thanks again!

7_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the CatSite Forums!

At a young age, kittens, like humans respond well to routine. His routine has now changed since there is a new kitten in the house.

It's good you are showing him attention with the play time and treats. If you have an extra room, I would suggest bringing him in there with you once a day - around the same time every day. Bring his favorite toys with you, talk to him, give a few treats. This will allow him to have a specific time and place where it's just you and him - the ways things were before new kitty. This will hopefully help his comfort level.

Some cats also just take longer than others once a new addition has been brought home to adjust to the change. Hopefully, with some time and one-on-one attention he will adjust and feel comfortable again. I experienced the same thing.

dearladydisdain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I will start doing that right away........

dearladydisdain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw the picture of your gray cat--I used to have a gray cat just like that which I named Seven, but after I went away to college my parents decided to get rid of our cats--this is a long shot, but you didn't happen to aquire the cat in Wisconsin, did you?
- Amber

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A suggestion I have, that I read from many cat behaviorists - tell the original, resident cat, that the new kitten is his kitten, that that 'old' cat is #1 in your heart, and always say hello, feed, give treats to, and everything else, old cat first, before new baby cat (yes, I know it's hard to do that!!!). I know it seems funny to tell a cat that he's your #1 and that you're as much in love as even, but I truly think it helps.

And, I agree, a consistent one on one cuddling play time will probably help a lot.

7_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dearladydisdain

I saw the picture of your gray cat--I used to have a gray cat just like that which I named Seven, but after I went away to college my parents decided to get rid of our cats--this is a long shot, but you didn't happen to aquire the cat in Wisconsin, did you?
- Amber
She wasn't from WI... that's quite interesting! I sent you a PM.