Cat Pees On The Carpet When She's Rejected

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every few years this becomes a problem again, and I finally narrowed down the cause. My cat (for the most part) never urinated outside of her litter box until the last few years (there is no medical cause for this, she has seen the vet multiple times). She used to be very independent and not much of a cuddler.

After I began working from home, she got veryyy clingy. As in, she became a total lap cat, and now spends hours each day climbing onto my lap to cuddle. This happens multiple times an hour, and sometimes it's just not feasible for me to cuddle her (like if I'm working on the computer or I'm on the phone). So (very rarely), I have to gently put her back down and tell her 'no I can't cuddle right now, I'm busy' when she tries to jump on me again for cuddles. I've noticed that every time I do this, I then find a pee spot on the carpet in the living room within 10-20 minutes. She also jumps onto my bedside table in the mornings and normally I'll reach over and pet her a little bit, but if I don't do this (for example the other morning, I was very sick and did not pet her), she went within 10 mins of that "rejection" and peed on the carpet. I've been taking notes for months whenever she's peed outside the box, and not getting a cuddle has been the only common theme here.

I fear I've made her overly dependent on my affection, now to the point where if one single cuddle is rejected, it results in urination on the carpet. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas for correcting this behavior? She gets cuddles almost every single time she wants them, but realistically if I can't cuddle her for 3 minutes, I should be able to do what I need to do without retaliation. (And yes, I realize its not "retaliation" in the human sense of the word, but she is obviously upset by the "rejection" and for whatever reason urinates on the floor as a result). Should I cuddle her less in general to get her to be less clingy towards me? I feel like any decrease in cuddles at this point will only result in more pee. She does not respond to Felliway or any of the calming cat sprays or diffusers. I'm really at a loss and I can't seem to find anything about this online.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, that is a bit extreme, but...it still boils down to stress and a WAY BIG seperation anxiety! So...given that I haven't run across anything this extreme before, I'm going to give you everything I have in the way of articles for dealing with both issues.

Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
You, Your Cat And Stress
Separation Anxiety In Cats
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping

This isn't nearly as much reading as it first appears. The articles are fairly short, clear, concise, and very easy to read! I'm so hoping that they will give you the tools you need to help your cat and give your lap a rest!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
it still boils down to stress and a WAY BIG seperation anxiety
Sure sounds like it. Maybe pick up a few puppy pads to help save your carpet/sanity in the meantime.
A completely different thought, though, is she possibly a little arthritic to where your warm lap (and warm hands) makes her feel better, or even with no arthritis, --I know you said this recurring...my point being, do you have a heated bed of some type or variety?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is a bit extreme, but...it still boils down to stress and a WAY BIG seperation anxiety! So...given that I haven't run across anything this extreme before, I'm going to give you everything I have in the way of articles for dealing with both issues.

Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
You, Your Cat And Stress
Separation Anxiety In Cats
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping

This isn't nearly as much reading as it first appears. The articles are fairly short, clear, concise, and very easy to read! I'm so hoping that they will give you the tools you need to help your cat and give your lap a rest!
Thank you!! No honestly anything is helpful and I agree there's definitely some sort of separation anxiety happening! I will read through those articles tonight :)

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sure sounds like it. Maybe pick up a few puppy pads to help save your carpet/sanity in the meantime.
A completely different thought, though, is she possibly a little arthritic to where your warm lap (and warm hands) makes her feel better, or even with no arthritis, --I know you said this recurring...my point being, do you have a heated bed of some type or variety?
That's a good idea about the pee pads! I'm pretty much going to have to replace the entire carpet at this point. I don't think she's arthritic at all (under 5 yrs old, perfect health according to vet) and has zero interest in warm pads or cat beds (she won't use or go near them). But she'll sit/sleep other places like on furniture, couches, countertops etc. She seems to have developed a very demanding personality and I feel like I may have catered to her too much being home all the time, she's a Himalayan and they like to bond to one person and kind of rule the roost, breed-wise :( I think me working from home was bad for her. I'm going to read up on separation anxiety, I don't know wth she'd be anxious about though, she really does have a very calm, quiet, and easy life lol

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For what it is worth if all those articles/ideas so not help reduce her stress, you can talk to your vet about medication. Many people have posted about how prozac has worked miracles. I'm not saying don't try to destress her in other ways first (I would) but it is an option to look into if all else fails.

Cats on Prozac?

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For what it is worth if all those articles/ideas so not help reduce her stress, you can talk to your vet about medication. Many people have posted about how prozac has worked miracles. I'm not saying don't try to destress her in other ways first (I would) but it is an option to look into if all else fails.

Cats on Prozac?
Thank you! I never would've thought of that, if it continues to escalate I may need to ask my vet about medications. He feels Persians and Himalayans have a tendency to urinate outside of litter boxes more than other breeds and that its a behavioral inclination of the breed. I've found some stuff on google that backs that up, but I still question it because it's not really ongoing behavior, and she didn't even do it for years? its only in response to one thing

I had her when I was a student and was on a weird class schedule (home most of the time but would leave for classes at random hours), and I had her when I worked full time in an office (gone daily for long hours) and somehow she was totally fine all of those years. If I leave the house and go somewhere for hours on end, she could care less (no anxiety or stress), but if I place her down or tell her no to a cuddle she pees and cops an attitude the rest of the day.