Cat pees in toilet, poops on floor

fenya7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a problem with my almost 1 year old DSH female calico peeing in the toilet but not pooping. She started peeing in the toilet almost immediately after I showed it to her. She KNOWS what I want from her, but she continues pooping on the floor. My point - they CANNOT burry it IN the floor, so I don't understand why so many people here are stressing the "burry and hide" part of it. My observations are that she NEEDS to see "the product" and this is why she refuses not to see it. It's been four months now since I removed her litter box and she started peiing in the toilet and pooping on the floor. I understand that litter box may be needed for the future when she gets older, but in the meantime, I totally agree with those who are saying that litter box is not good either (no matter how clean, it contains bad bacteria) and cats carry some of the litter on their paws around the house. She trained ME to scoop her poop, wash it all thoroughly, tell her that it's a 'NO", continue showing her what I expect, etc. At this point I think she won't poop in the toilet, but cleaning it from a corner on the bathroom floor and NOT dealing with her pee and litter box is good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat may very well end up with some behavior problems since you are denying her what is a natural instinct, to poop in a safe place and bury it. Poor kitty.

I suspect she's not going to limit her pooping to that one corner, either. I find it odd that you think it is more hygienic to have a cat poop on the floor rather than in a litter box.

Give her a litter box, stop "fighting" with her. People who think they can force a cat to submit to some behavior the cat does not want to submit to rarely "win".

And what you lose out on is the really wonderful relationship you can have with a cat when you allow her to be who she is, instead of trying to force onto her some ideal you think she should be.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with my almost 1 year old DSH female calico. She started peeing in the toilet almost immediately after I showed it to her. She KNOWS what I want from her, but she continues pooping on the floor. My point - they CANNOT burry it IN the floor, so I don't understand why so many people here are stressing the "burry and hide" part of it. My observations are that she NEEDS to see "the product" and this is why she refuses not to see it. It's been four months now since I removed her litter box and she started peiing in the toilet and pooping on the floor. I understand that litter box may be needed for the future when she gets older, but in the meantime, I totally agree with those who are saying that litter box is not good either (no matter how clean, it contains bad bacteria) and cats carry some of the litter on their paws around the house. She trained ME to scoop her poop, wash it all thoroughly, tell her that it's a 'NO", continue showing her what I expect, etc. At this point I think she won't poop in the toilet, but cleaning it from a corner on the bathroom floor and NOT dealing with her pee and litter box is good enough.
You are right. They CANNOT bury it in the floor.  Give her a place where she *can* bury it and see what she does. Do you not see the connection between taking away her litter box and her relieving herself on the floor? And I don't think she trained you to scoop her poop or anything. You clean up after her because you are a human being with a sense of reason and responsibility, which causes you to act. Any reasonable person finds a way to dispose of bodily wastes when presented with the task.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm astonished someone would chose to allow their cat to relieve themselves on the floor and aside from all else, chance guests coming upon the cat's bowel movements near where they need to use the toilet. Don't you worry about them stepping in it?