Cat pees by the front door ever .

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sweet little 5 1/2 boy has always been very active and a little neurotic. He cuddles me almost every day and is very sweet at times but he’s definitely quirky. I think he probably had single kitten syndrome. We have another cat now, but he was the only cat until he was 3 and I think we probably should have had him a friend from the start but we didn’t know better at the time. He’s always peed by the front door off and on since he was little.

The issue is during the work week, I can always count on Rufus peeing by the front door the day we go back to work. Every Monday we come home to pee. This week , my husband was off due to illness Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. He went back to work today and I came home to pee. Always in the same spot. And only on our first day back to work.

Since this happens consistently on the day we both go back to work after a few days off, I’m sure it’s behavioral rather than health related. I’m not sure if it’s because he’s bored when we’re gone or if it’s some sort of separation anxiety. I’m wondering if I should take him to the vet for medication? The pee doesn’t bother me. It’s always in the same spot so the damage is kind of already done. It’s more I’m concerned for his well being. I know when I work he just sleeps all day…it’s not like he cries by the door for 9 hours. I’ve come home at various times throughout the day and he’s always just chillin when I get home. I’m just wondering why on earth he does this 😭

It’s crazy to me I can always predict the days it happens. It truly is just the first day we return to work and then he’s fine the other days.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check the outside of the front door and around it. The peeing by the door is often a cat's way of telling the outside cat who is peeing on his door that this is his turf!!!! and STAY AWAY!!!

Enzyme cleaner for both inside and out. A lot of the time you can see the spray drip on the outside of the door. Black light, which is cheap, will show you where it is if you can't.

This can go on for years and years. Cats do not readily give up their territory.

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with Kflowers! That is a very good chance that is happening! Cats are very territoral!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Check the outside of the front door and around it. The peeing by the door is often a cat's way of telling the outside cat who is peeing on his door that this is his turf!!!! and STAY AWAY!!!
:agree: I completely agree!
This happened with a close friend's cat because another cat who was outside invaded their territory.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing that might not fit about an outside cat peeing around the front door is the fact that the OP's cat only pees by the front door on the first day of each week that the owners return to work - no other days of the week or during days they are home. So, it seems a little unlikely that an outdoor cat only comes around that same day.

That is not to say that another cat might frequent the area and the OP's cat is only close to the door on those days and that is when they can pick up on the scent. As unlikely as that is, of course, it can't be entirely ruled out.

Checking and cleaning the outer area of the door is a good idea, as is placing a litter box inside by the door too. Chicken wire can be laid on the ground in front of and around to door (once the area is cleaned) to try to deter another cat from coming into that area. Most cats don't like to walk on chicken wire.

Another thing that could be tried is to encompass the front door with a moveable blockade that restricts close access to the front door to help minimize the chances the cat can smell another cat on the other side. Even in this case, I would still place a litter box nearby on those days.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to reread your post but your saying he pees by the front door only on I’ll say Monday of every week when you and your husband go back to work . My advice I would get a video camera like maybe a ring and set it up in the house .looking toward the door that way you can see what’s going on and how he’s acting then take it to a vet and see what they said .

that doesn’t sound like marking , that sounds to me like it’s behavior like he’s soothing himself because . I’ll guess you get Friday afternoon to Sunday night off ? That like 48 hours , or more or less then come Monday he knows your rountine .

I know this isn’t the same but when my cat was little I was laying down and she used to . Always crawl in bed and curl up in a ball . Either by my head or between my legs or by my feet and sleep . Well one night I heard this odd noise didn’t know what it was . I looked over and she was sucking on her tail . He did it a few times I even asked the vet . They told me it’s comfort thing but told me how to stop it . And she hasn’t done it since . But both things are different but I still believe both are a way to
Comfort and sooth oneself .

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Rufus is leaving you a message- cats leave their urine scent as a message. Because it's only the first day you return to work he is clearly stressed by your leaving and saying so..... after your gone no doubt he's fine and after you return he is used to the routine,then I'm assuming he has you all weekend until Monday it begins again- It's not about territory,it's him protesting,complaining plus by the time Monday rolls around he freshens up the msg

Furballsmom Furballsmom has advised you well,firstly you have to use an enzymatic cleaner to remove all of the scent and a litter box by the door would serve well to break this routine along with something to keep him from the door..... only I suspect he might just leave his msg a bit further in but I'd certainly start there.....

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything is possible. There is one cat in our neighborhood who sprays our front door intermittently during the week. It's early morning, so my guess is that either a different babysitter, or the grandparents, who aren't good at keeping him in, arrive once a week to stay with a small child. No doubt, soon the small child will be letting him out. It's nothing to us, because our cat doesn't care. I spray the spot about 7 inches long with white vinegar and that takes care of the smell.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in agreement with Furballsmom Furballsmom and Kwik Kwik . This sounds more like a message for you or a stress/separation anxiety thing than a territorial thing. If it was territorial, he'd be more likely to spray than leave a noticeable puddle of urine (even neutered male cats spray).

As has been said, making sure the area is cleaned thoroughly is a good first step - keeping in mind that cats have a better sense of smell than humans, so Rufus might still be able to smell urine even if you can't and be under the impression that "This smells of my pee, therefore it must be a good place to go."