Cat peeing

irenepaark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Does anyone know of affordable vets in Orange County? My cat, 4Y Female, has been nonstop peeing on our bed/blankets for over a year now. There’s phases where it’s much more common. Right now we are in another common phase. We almost wash a blanket everyday. I tried over the counter UTI medicine, UTI food, more litter boxes, covering the bed, but nothing is working. She even pees while we are sleeping on it. I think my family is very close to giving her away/leaving her outside and I dont know what to do. However, she is a very skittish cat. Runs away whenever someone comes near her. But there are moments where she comes to you for affection. I know this might be a behavior issue but I decided to post here as I feel like it could be a medical issue at this rate. Please let me know if you have any advice, I am losing my mind!!! She pees even in the short time we go to get new blankets sometimes!

Thank you so much, I sincerely appreciate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irenepaark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat in question, Hazel.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Pretty Hazel!! Her condition could be something called FIC - feline idiopathic cystitis - Feline Idiopathic Cystitis - How To Improve Your Cat's Quality Of Life - TheCatSite. It could also be a form of FLUTD - Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) - TheCatSite.

After this long, I would think you would see a decline in her health related to urinary tract disease - peeing blood, or peeing less - but that is not to say there isn't one. If a true UTI going on for a year or more, I do think you would have seen more problems than what you have so far according to your post.

OTC products for a UTI don't do much if there is an actual infection going on, so good on you to seek out a vet that can take a look at her and run some tests to see what they can find. In addition to the sources provided above, if you have the Next Door Neighbor web site you can join (for free) and ask neighbors for their recommendations on vets in your area.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She should see a vet to be sure. It's possible if unlikely that she does have a UTI or some other problem.

If she's okay physically, then I suspect something or someone is frightening her. When we first moved from a house (where our cat had lived all her life) into an apartment with an inside hallway, our cat began peeing on the bed every night, sometimes when I was in it. The vet said the cat was afraid of the 'intruders in our house that walked up and down the hallway." This, despite the cat never going into the hallway. My solution was to put a shower curtain over the top of the blankets. It didn't stop her, though I understand some are stopped by the pee getting on their feet. Ours didn't stop until we moved -- that is until what was frightening her was removed. She never did it after the move.

Therefore, you need to consider are there cats or other animals around your house? Are they spraying on your doors or under your windows? A UV light will tell you when you scan the outside of the house. Enzyme cleaner every day on the spot. Motion detectors that spit out air have been known to drive off outside cats spraying on your house.