Cat Peeing Under Litter Box

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twice in the last week, I've noticed Mabel has peed under her litter box. I don't even understand how that could happen. Her litter box is only a week old so there's no holes in it and there's no pee on the side of it so she's not peeing out of it and it's running down the side and under. I clean it daily but somehow when I pull it out, there continues to be pee under it and it's quite a bit too.

Any ideas how I can stop this? It's making my bathroom stink and it's gross to keep having to clean.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Twice in the last week, I've noticed Mabel has peed under her litter box. I don't even understand how that could happen. Her litter box is only a week old so there's no holes in it and there's no pee on the side of it so she's not peeing out of it and it's running down the side and under. I clean it daily but somehow when I pull it out, there continues to be pee under it and it's quite a bit too.

Any ideas how I can stop this? It's making my bathroom stink and it's gross to keep having to clean.
She's not peeing under it, she's peeing outside it and its running under. 

You said the litter box is only a week old and that this started about a week ago.  It sounds like she doesn't like the new box.

Why did you get a new box?

In what ways is this box different than the old one?

Where is the old box now (gone?)?

Has the litterbox location changed?

How long have you had her?

Edit:  Depending how you answer the questions above the next step may involve suggesting you get your cat checked for a UTI or crystals in the urine, medical causes always need to be ruled out although in your case it sounds like it may be behavioral.

Last edited:

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I agree with Stephen as per questions.Was this litterbox always located here?Or is this a new place/How to stop it.Try a hooded one.Some people even resort to cheap wireless ip cameras set up at litterboxes to be able to observe their kitties at the box & what exactly is going on.You can get for like $30.00 amazon that will record to your hardrive on your computer or go to your phone etc.Have you changed the litter to something else?Now that urine has been there for a long time.It has to be cleaned with a enzyme cleaner thoroughly.i would actually do it like three times.Not bleach as that entices them.Nature's miracle .Something like that.Have you literally tried taking the litterbox empty and say laying it in the bathtub & filling it with water?To check for leaks.You'll soon now as many a product is coming from China & the quality you just don't know.Often kitties will hang their butt over & pee in a spraying motion.If you are not there physically to watch,you will have no idea.I always use a boot tray under my litterboxes.HTH C

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've only had her for a week and a half. A covered box won't fit in the spot it's in and I don't have anywhere else to put it unfortunately so a smaller one is our only option.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi CatLover.

I see you're a fellow Canadian.yippee!!! You've only had her a week and a half.Did you tell us the background of this little baby? Age etc.That would be helpful.So you really have not had her long enough to know that this litterbox behavior is something that has changed? If not than some of my babes used to balance all fours on one side of the box & pee.What balance.OMG & yes there were times the mother flipped right over.LOL.Cats/kittens are generally clean animals.Depending on her before your home situation may play a role as per litterbox behaviour etc.More info would be great.Sorry if you already told her life story & I missed it.Can you take a pic of the litterbox & post it here? Curious as to the dimensions etc.Can you find one that will fit with a lid? Then for sure if outside she is peeing outside.Get back to us with more info if you can.Hugs C.

The location of the toilet.Does it back up to a wall or the bathtub side?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is 3 and she's fixed. She was at the humane society until August (I don't know how long though) where she was adopted by a lady with a 1 year old son. She didn't know she was allergic so after a month, she rehomed her and we got her. She's a good cat, really easy going and other than scratching (I haven't bought a scratching post yet) she acts fine. She is good with my 2 kids so I don't think it's her upset about them or anything.

Here's a picture. It is the only place I can put it. It can't be on the main floor because my son will get into it. My upstairs has this tiny bathroom and our bedrooms and we don't have a basement so this is our only option.

I was thinking I could put some puppy pee pads down under it. Then at least I could just throw them out and not have to worry about the floor being gross.

She's settled in well otherwise. She made herself at home pretty quickly.

Last edited:

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to pull my box away from the walls otherwise one of my cats scoots too far and pees over the edge near the walls. I'm just assuming this was the problem because once I moved it away from the back and side walls no outside pee. A covered box may solve the issue altogether I couldn't fit one in the space I had. Has she been checked for an bladder infection? That could be it too.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi catlover.Thank you for the explanation & bringing her into your life!!!Wonderful.She will obviously have some adjusting to do.Cats are just that way.But looks like she is on the right road.It is unfortunate that is the only place.Some kitties, in fact most, have a ritual when it comes to toiletry duties.They mega dig to china turning & turning etc.I wonder if she may find it actually tight quarters for her as the base to your pedistal sink is there as well.You could put puppy pads there to make it easier for you but for her it only tells her urine there is ok.This is gonna sound stupid but not meant to be.When  you take the litterbox away have you checked the walls & your baseboard mouldings right at the top edge of the moulding?? Urine can go down a wall obviously and under.Otherwise looking at your pic I could see her standing right in front of the toilet & peeing as there is no room anywhere else to squat & pee.Have you tried soaking up some of the urine in a paper towel and placing it in the litterbox? I myself would see if a hooded one would fit there.I know the one's that have flaps on the front door mine never liked & I had to remove the flap.You say your son will get into it in another place.Will he get into one that is a dome style as well?Too bad you didn't have a black light.that in that room with the light out will show where urine is apparently.Also some shelters & I'm not saying this one but some I have seen walking through that the toilets are rude.Kitties hate that.And soon can say "Not " to.Is she pooping in it? She should have pooed quite a few times within the period you have had her.Puppy pads as far as i know have a scent to entice the animal to pee there.Open to anyone who knows differently.My concern would be that say because she feels squished her butt is hanging over & now with puppy pads she says"gee i smell pee there so  it must be ok" the reason I ask about #2's is kitties are in epidemic proportions dealing with ongoing constipation.Ongoing constipation causes a "learned Aversion" meaning they have had at least at one point felt pain while in the litterbox & now think that is a place of pain and avoid it.If she's pooping fine in it then I would only assume she has a ritual & with her ritual she requires space.And that without at least higher sides or a top, it will trickle over onto the floor.JMO.I also agree with hexiesfriend as per a urine test.My Late Tabby who lived one month shy of 20 yrs old one day came into the bathroom with me.She jumped into the bathtub & squatted & peed.It had blood in it.Never a sick day in her life.Took her to a vet and she had bladder cancer.But utis's etc can make some kitties try to tell you something.My tabby was like looking at me as if to say" Here you stupid human.I'm going to show you on something white so with your own eyes you can see that I am sick" I'm not saying your new girl has any of that.But a urinalysis via cysto which is best would rule out any urinary issues.HTH C

Last edited:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's pooping in it fine and there's plenty of pee in it. I haven't looked too closely at the walls but I didn't see any urine on them. I will try moving it out from the wall. She was vet checked in August, I haven't taken her to the vet because we got the papers with her saying what she had done.

My son would get into anything that he can get into so having it on the main floor is not an option at all. It would have to be in the bathroom and even if he did leave the cat box alone, he'd get into the cupboards, toilet, tub, etc. He loves the bathroom and goes in there every time the door is open. He's a pretty curious kid, but he's just exploring and learning about the world (he's just about 1).

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When she does pee in the litter box, is the pee in the middle of the box or by the sides?  If the sides, I'd say she is standing with her back to the side of the box and she is just peeing over the edge. 

That happened to me with Ruby a few times and I was puzzled as to how pee got under the box.  But I had a 2 piece litter box at the time and she was peeing against the side and it was leaking through the seams where the 2 parts joined.

I got a larger box, with higher sides and 99.9% of the time the pee says in the box.  There is still that 0.1% when she manages to pee over the side and I always know because she gets all needy like she's trying to let me know what happened.

If possible, I would suggest getting a larger box with higher sides and see if that helps.  Can you put it on the other side of the sink?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's in the corners so that makes sense. If I put it on the other side, she'd be peeing out the box onto the carpet which I definitely don't want. I will see if moving it out from the wall helps. I didn't realize that cats could be so picky. I've never had a cat that cared about the litter box before so this is new to me.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi catlover19.Yes I agree with rubysmama.Cats are all so different from one to the next.Some go in and literally bury their behind way into the litter to pee.While others do do it in a standing position.If moving it away from the walls I agree try to find a high sided one that will fit in the dimensions.You can get them with really high sides  and the front is lower. You`ll have.to measure your floor area.Every kitty being so very different from one another.Hugs C.We learn something new everyday from these little ones.:) Or try to find one with a dome lid that will fit.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi rubysmama.I have had that happen too with the hooded ones.That`s why I always have a plastic boot tray under them just in case.Hugs C.Love the name Ruby BTW.That was my Grandmas name.:)

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now, the one I have will have to do. We don't have a store here that sells any different ones and I won't have time to go into the city for a couple of weeks. I didn't see urine on the wall at all, I looked last night.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Some go in and literally bury their behind way into the litter to pee.While others do do it in a standing position.If moving it away from the walls
Yeah, I always thought cats dug a hole then squatted, but not my Ruby.  She stands, then "sometimes" digs to cover. But other times just does her business and leaves!

Love the name Ruby BTW.That was my Grandmas name.:)
I've never known anyone named Ruby, but thought it was the perfect name for my little orange adopted kitty.
Right now, the one I have will have to do. We don't have a store here that sells any different ones and I won't have time to go into the city for a couple of weeks. I didn't see urine on the wall at all, I looked last night.
If you have a Canadian Tire in your area, they sell the litter boxes with higher sides.   Here's the link:  http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/large-high-sided-cat-litter-pan-0427865p.html#.VhZY52veKJc

Interestingly, 2 of the 4 reviews mention getting it because they had cats who's butts hung over the sides of the previous litter box!

Meanwhile wonder if adding more litter would help.

Last edited:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't sell that one at Canadian Tire here. We have the world's smallest CT.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night, I was in the bathroom and Mabel came in to use the litter box. I didn't think anything of it until she squatted to pee and then lifted her whole backside and peed right on the wall. We will be getting her a different litter box today.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last night, I was in the bathroom and Mabel came in to use the litter box. I didn't think anything of it until she squatted to pee and then lifted her whole backside and peed right on the wall. We will be getting her a different litter box today.
I'd go with a covered box.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully you can find what you're looking for.  If not, something I've read people have done is to cut down a rubbermaid container to use as a litter box.  Here's some pics: https://www.google.com/search?q=rub...ChMIt_6jnf-3yAIViHY-Ch0WrgJa&biw=1440&bih=736