Cat peeing outside the box... what is she telling us?

pred02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
We are treating our cat for UTI and early stage CRF. She has been on antibiotics for a couple of months now, and clinically she is doing well. Last time we went for a urinalysis she was bacteria-free but she is still on Clovomax.

She is playful, has a strong appetite, runs around, and unfortunately urinates outside the kitty box. Not all the time, but sometimes she goes right next to the box on our carpets.

Before I go back to our vet with this, I wanted to know if there is anything related to this, why is she going outside the box.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be because she is sick.
Coco has the same problem as your cat but she never goes outside of the pan.
I am not sure why your cat is doing that.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being that she is being treated for a UTI it could very well be that she now associates the box with painful urination??just a though but I have heard that cats that have blockages sometimes go outside the box because of this.Good luck and I hope you find out what the problem is and a way to solve it

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I truly understand why a cat would associate a litter box with pain, while they experienced it...but....my cat will go pee in the box ONLY when I am standing right there giving her lots of positive encouragement. She had licked her tummy raw and I know that litter was probably painful....but that problem was cleared up about 3 years ago...and still no success with her automatically peeing in the box. She does the pooping in the box without being 'told'.

I changed litter, added Cat Attract, use The World's Best Litter because it is soft, but just can't convince her to get in on her own. I scoop the boxes every second day.

The worst part is...I think she's influencing my other one or two cats to also pee on the papers.....I'm not sure about that...just a suspicion for now. The problem is that their boxes sit on paper on a cement floor (I also put down puppy training pads)...and the odor can get pretty bad. I use the odor eliminator, baking soda, I wash the cement, use Lysol....but the smell is still there no matter what. She's 12 1/2, so her years are limited....but I hate to think about how nice it will be to have no pee smell in the basement, not a fond memory to have of one's cat.

If anyone has any 'magic bullet' for getting her to get in on her own...please share.....

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She very well could be remembering that painful urination ......... have you tried getting a brand new litter box??? I know that helped mine! I have 2 cats with urinary problems (that are now under control). But even after being under control they wouldnt consistantly use the litter box- they would use the bathtub, counters, rug etc. So I finally tossed their litter boxes and got new ones and it worked!

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, all new litter boxes, even a low sided one so she could get in and out easily.
When she knows I'm watching...right in she gets. I praise her, tell her how good she is...pet her when she gets out...give her treats when we get up the stairs....all to no avail because if I'm not there....guess what??