Cat Peeing Out Of Solutions

hana18redcrown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a female bombay. Beautiful little 2.5 year old. Loving, gargle meows, wouldn't trade her for a million dollars.

But I'm at the end of my rope.

Ever since we got her, she has been finicky about peeing in her litter box. She will poop there, but she WILL NOT pee there. She will go out of her way to pee SOMEWHERE ELSE, even if it means holding her bladder all night and waiting for us to leave so she can use a bed.

She's peed on my bed, clothes accidentally left on the floor, my sons bed, my mothers bed, and folded laundry that is seconds from being put away. Basically, anywhere comfy to pee, she pees.

THE LIST OF THINGS WE'VE RULED OUT AS A CAUSE OR THINGS WE'VE DONE TO TRY AND CURB THE PROBLEM---

UTI
Bladder Stones/Infection
Blockages
Mites/Ticks
Parasites/Worms
Allergies
Switching cat litters from scented to non-scented, to wood pellets, to finer litter
Switching cat boxes from covered to uncovered and back
Putting boxes in the open, putting boxes in seclusion
More love and treats
Leaving the radio/tv for possible abandonment issues
Secluding the cat (we have multiple cats in the home)
Changing diets from Natural Balance, to raw, to cheaper brands, to more expensive brands
We have 6 litter boxes in the home, 2 more than we have cats.
Vet check ups have come back with nothing, vet says it's behavioral, but we don't know how to curb the problem.

This has been an ongoing 2 year battle. We got the cat when she was 5 months old. She was spayed after her first heat at 7 months old. She has always had a problem with peeing on things, and we started doing testing early.

Now, I have read some crazy stories.

One person secluded their problem cat to the spare bedroom and literally allowed him to pee everywhere because they couldn't find the solution to his problem. He lived for 17 years, apparently happily so, and when he died, they had to strip the room down to the frame in order to get the smell out of the room. That's not possible for me, I don't have a spare room, and we rent the house.

Another lady couldn't find the solution to her cats problem, who decided he was only going to pee on her bed. So now, every morning she strips her bedsheets off, she goes to work, the cat pees on her waterproof mattress cover and she comes home, replaces the cover, puts her sheets back on, and does laundry. She has done this every day for years. I can't do that when the cat is peeing on all 3 beds in the house. I have a job to go to and a child to care for. I simply DO NOT have the time to get a good nights rest AND strip the beds of their sheets AND do 4 people's laundry, AND replace the sheets back on the bed. That is too much stress!

I don't know what to do anymore and we are LITERALLY out of money. I had to chose between taking my cat to the vet 1 last time for various testing, and paying rent and I chose the cat, so now I have to double down with work and hope my Christmas bonus comes in before my landlords get pissed (insert rim-shot here).

The only things we haven't tried are: sand in the litter boxes, and feliway. Sand is the most doable option for us right now, because it's $5 a bag as opposed to $50 for some pheromone stuff.

I know I say I wouldn't trade her for a million dollars, but this peeing thing is getting ridiculous, and if my family is the problem, then maybe it is better if she goes somewhere else? But despite advertising a loving cat with a slight problem (because I'm not enough of a jerk to not tell her potential new owners about her current issues), unfortunately, it doesn't matter how cute the cat is, no one wants her. So then my only option would be taking her to a no-kill shelter.

I need reassurance, and stories of how other people have literally done everything. I am besides myself in absolute agony at the idea of giving her up. She was the present I received after my elder tabby cat died 2 years ago, and giving her up would destroy me.

xeenthequeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have your tried reducing stress (Feliway diffuser/zylkene/flower essences), or using litter attractant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hana18redcrown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have your tried reducing stress (Feliway diffuser/zylkene/flower essences), or using litter attractant?
I already said in the post that we haven't tried feliway yet. We are literally out of funds right now, and can't JUST YET afford the $50+ it will cost us to get feliway, OR litter attractant. We are open to trying it, but can't until the end of the month.

xeenthequeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see, good luck. Today I bought a Feliway diffuser from the clinic I work at, and just realized it's a fair bit cheaper on Amazon.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point I think I'd go straight for the heavy drugs. Probably Prozac first, because it seems to be the most commonly used and the generic is pretty cheap (I'm pretty sure it's on the $4-a-month list at Walmart). Since she's been to the vet recently, the vet SHOULD be willing to write you a prescription without seeing her again. Call the vet and have a chat about that.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

entlaufene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried looking other places for the Feliway? I would usually get it for about 20-30 EUR on Amazon, and the Amazon in the US is usually even cheaper than all the European Amazons.

There's also wood shavings that some people use (like what you'd put in a hamster cage). But it sounds like she likes sitting on fabric to pee, have you tried putting some old clothes/rags in a litter box for her? Maybe she could learn there's a sanctioned cloth pile for peeing? (Washing it would still be gross, but less hassle than washing a quilt.) Or... some absorbent litter with a soft cloth on top?

(And did you see that there's two varieties of Feliway now? One for anxiety issues in general, one for cats that specifically have problems being around other cats. I know you don't have the money to try both right now, but might be an idea to keep in the back of your mind.)

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
have you tried dr elsey's cat attract? i don't see it in your list. a lot of people here have used attractants for their cats who pee everywhere with good results.

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried using Clay based litter? A few years ago my male cat began to pee outside of his litter box. Our vet recommended using a clay based litter. It took a bit of searching but we were able to find a brand that is strictly clay based. We get it at Walmart and its called Economy Cat. Its fragrance free and 100% clay based.

Mjhend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a similar problem. Bought low open boxes and put a variety of materials in each--towels, newspapers, pee pads, etc. He loved newspapers and no other peeing since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hana18redcrown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a similar problem. Bought low open boxes and put a variety of materials in each--towels, newspapers, pee pads, etc. He loved newspapers and no other peeing since.
I haven't tried various materials before. We have 6 boxes in the house, so I'm going to try that. We have some shredded paper that I was thinking might make an interesting attempt at different material... Thanks for that!

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I watched a Jackson Galaxy episode on this, and he solved the problem by putting more scratching posts and an automatic sprinkler outside the house to scare away ferals. Apparently the cat was marking because of feral cats, so when he added more scratching posts, the cat had more options to leave his scent.

He uses this method often and it seems to do the trick most of the time.