Cat peeing on things

lexiex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any advice would be highly appreciated.   I have no idea what to do about this.   My daughter's cat is about 3 years old.  She has never had any problems going in the litterbox.   About a month or two ago, I started noticing that a jacket that my other kid has a habit of tossing on the floor was wet.   It smelled kind of musty, at first I thought her water bottle for school had leaked or something.  I washed it and didn't think much about it until this happened about three times.   I started making sure to keep the coat off the floor and started wondering if it was the cat peeing on it.   Then today, my daughter told me that she saw the cat peeing on a tote bag that had been left on the floor.   I have no idea why the cat would all of a sudden start doing this.  The cat gets a lot of attention from my daughter, i have  not changed litter recently, the litterbox is clean.   She does use the litterbox, I had scooped it right before this happened so I know that she has been using it and also that it was clean.   After I cleaned up the tote bag incident, I watched the cat come out and sniff all over the room.    The only thing I can possibly think of is that the jacket had been at my friend's house and they also have a cat.   And there were some boots near the tote bag that had also been left at the same house for about a week.   Could she be smelling the other cat and trying to mark her territory or something?   We have been there several times and they have always had their cat.   

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be territorial but she could also be sick. Cats will often change litter habits like this if so,etchings not right physically. Might be time for a vet visit

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It could be an indication of some illness and a vet check is always a good idea when something like this starts to happen.  It is also a good idea to act sooner rather than later, if there is no underlying illness and it is a behaviour issue the sooner you can figure out what is happening for her and try to work with her to stop it the better it will be.  Like humans, the longer cats have done something the harder it is to stop it.

Make sure that anything she has peed on is thoroughly soaked and washed clean with enzyme cleaner to remove any traces of urine as this will confuse and continue to attract her.

If she is physically well it could be that there has  been some scent on the things she is choosing, but it could also be she is choosing things that smell / beling to people who make her feel secure and she finds it comforing and reassuring to pee on them.  If she is very close to her daughter and your daughter's routine has changed recently and maybe been out more or something this could be related.

There are some good articles and threads on the site that might give you some ideas:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-remove-cat-urine

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/spraying-when-your-cat-uses-urine-to-mark-territory

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/9563/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered

I hope you find something to help here and that you manage to find out what has been causing this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lexiex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How does the vet diagnose a UTI?   I called a local vet's office this morning to get some info and they want me to get a sample by buying something from them to collect the urine myself.  Suggested taking the litterbox away and replacing it with a pie pan to catch the urine, then pour it into the container  and bringing it in with the cat.   

Isn't there any other way they could diagnose it if it is in fact a UTI?    I don't see that going well.   

I honestly don't think the cat is sick but I will get her checked as a precaution.   She is acting fine other than the peeing on random things left on the floor problem.   Multiple times today she came into the living room and roamed around sniffing everything.   

lexiex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and about the marking.  The cat never pees on anything belonging to my daughter who owns the cat.   It's my other kid's jacket and my tote bag that have been peed on so far.    Her routine has not changed, she has been on the same schedule since school started in September.   The constant sniffing is new, but I have no idea what is up with that. 

lexiex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, there have been no other animals here at all.