Cat Peeing on Sides of Inside of Box

worm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have a neutered male cat that is now ~12 but acts much older (and a younger neutered male).  A few months ago the older cat had a UTI and after several trips to the vet it was cleared up.  However, due to the UTI he quit using the box to pee and was peeing beside it, and on clothes, etc. We ended up moving both cats out of the house and into the garage/outside (the garage is nice).  I was using rubbermaid containers without a lid for yers and after the problem started I began putting cardboard under and against the back sides.  After the UTI he began getting on to the edge of the top of the box and peeing down the side and on the cardboard against the wall and/or just next to it.

He acts too old for his age and I thought he may be having trouble getting in and out so I got a new rubbermaid (30 gal) and cut a hole for a door and put the lid on.  Now he goes in the box but pees on the sides of the inside and it is making my garage and possibly one of our cars smell (the garage is portioned out so only one car in their side).

He is also getting to the point where he is having trouble grooming himself and is grumpy but he isn't at the point where he doesn't have a good quality of life.  He basically just likes to lay under the steps or under bushes all day.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Also I have tried several types of litter, nothing does the trick 100% but I can tell there are a couple he doesn't like.

TIA

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried using CatAttract litter? That may help, but since he is going inside the box, I think he is just standing up because he is getting older and may be getting arthritis in his hips.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if his hips are hurting?  Also; if you are in the area of the US having a horrid heat wave right now; that might be part of his lazy behavior.  How long has this been going on?  (The laying around part.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

worm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was thinking the same thing about his hips, it's just strange that it started after the uti. Maybe it just made it worse for him. The vet did tell us a year or two ago that he had arthritis.

He has layed around like that for 5 years or so but within the last year or so has become more grumpy. I am going to try some of the natural arthritis spray/drops and see if it helps.

I switched litter brands again and it seems to have helped but it may just be the awesome summer cold I caught.