Cat peeing on my clothes!

shishylo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my cat is so annoying and keeps peeing on my clothes!

Sometimes I leave my clothes sitting in a basket because I don’t have enough room in my closet for everything. When going to get my clothes, they smell strongly of cat pee…He also pees on clothes and slippers that are just simply lying on the floor.

How do I get him to stop? I don’t want to wash my clothes again after just taking them out of the dryer. My sense of smell isn’t that great so I usually don’t notice the smell until I’m already in the car. He is litter-trained and neutered by the way.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How long has this been going on? How old is your cat?

Most, but not all of the time, peeing on soft things tends to happen with cats that are having urinary issues. A urinalysis might the first place to start to see if the vet can identify something going on.

Discouraging this behavior is for you an unfortunate one because it entails keeping things off the floor. So, things that can go in your closet should be placed there, and you might consider some sort of lock or closure that would keep your cat out of the closet altogether. The basket of clothes needs to go somewhere high enough so that he can't reach it, or in any location that he can't get to.

But I would start with a vet checkup, particularly if he hasn't one very recently, including the urinalysis, and then go from there depending on the results.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats feel a pile of clothes is a good place to pee. I've never heard of one being taught not to do this. For the sake of your sanity, can you put the basket of clothes in a closet and keep the door shut? I'd suggest you buy a hook and eye to use on the closet to be certain it's shut and stays that way. Some cats are very good at figuring out how to open closet doors, they aren't that secure.

You'll probably need a hamper with a closed lid on it for your dirty things. We had a cat that insisted on sleeping in the hamper -- stinky cat.

I suggest after the first wash and rinse cycle for your peed on things, run another rinse cycle with 1/4 cup of white vinegar in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shishylo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. How long has this been going on? How old is your cat?

Most, but not all of the time, peeing on soft things tends to happen with cats that are having urinary issues. A urinalysis might the first place to start to see if the vet can identify something going on.

Discouraging this behavior is for you an unfortunate one because it entails keeping things off the floor. So, things that can go in your closet should be placed there, and you might consider some sort of lock or closure that would keep your cat out of the closet altogether. The basket of clothes needs to go somewhere high enough so that he can't reach it, or in any location that he can't get to.

But I would start with a vet checkup, particularly if he hasn't one very recently, including the urinalysis, and then go from there depending on the results.
I’d say it’s been going on for a like week now. He’s only about 10 months old, but if he keeps peeing on stuff, I’ll see if I have time to schedule and appointment with a vet.

Michael *kensi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my cat is so annoying and keeps peeing on my clothes!

Sometimes I leave my clothes sitting in a basket because I don’t have enough room in my closet for everything. When going to get my clothes, they smell strongly of cat pee…He also pees on clothes and slippers that are just simply lying on the floor.
I had a cat that did that. I eventually realized that she was trying to tell me that she was very sick. She also stopped eating. Turned out she had a bladder stone.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's urgent you get him to a vet. Male cats can die from stones/crystals causing blockages. You don't get much of any warning. Tell your vet when you make the appointment, the staff should know it's an emergency.