Cat peeing on edge of litter box

krazykitty29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK so my cat will be 7 this year.. he has always been great about using the box..over the past few months there have been periods when he uses the litter box and tends to pee on the edge and floor around the box.. when he goes # 2 he always gets it in *THANK GOD*  just not sure what the reason for this would be?? Please help!!! I clean the box frequenty.. have tried a shorter box - wondering if as he is getting old he is struggling with height of box?  I have always used the same litter?? So very confused!! HELP! 

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS.

Perhaps using a higher walled box would help. Many use rubbermaid or sterilite storage containers as litter boxes. This may force him to go into the box, rather then stand on the edge.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome crazykitty29.  A box with very high sides but still having reasonably easy access for your cat should help. However, if your cat has not always been a sprayer aiming higher up on the sides of the box or perching on the edge and ticking his butt out to pee on the floor I am wondering if he has maybe been having some difficulty or pain when urinating. Have you had him at the vet for a check over since this started?

I had this behaviour start with my 2 previous cats as they aged. In both cases the start corresponded to when they had toileting problems, one with diahrroea and inflamed bowel and the other with cystitis. 

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK so my cat will be 7 this year.. he has always been great about using the box..over the past few months there have been periods when he uses the litter box and tends to pee on the edge and floor around the box.. when he goes # 2 he always gets it in *THANK GOD*  just not sure what the reason for this would be?? Please help!!! I clean the box frequenty.. have tried a shorter box - wondering if as he is getting old he is struggling with height of box?  I have always used the same litter?? So very confused!! HELP! 

My cat's litter box is shaped like an igloo, that is, it's round. She always urinates on the side of the littler box (the inside). It's such a joy trying to get the clumping litter off the round side, but she has been doing it since I've had her. Won't pee in the middle, but does #2 in the middle. Go figure!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Just had another thought as I was writing in another thread. One of my cats started to have problems turning in the box as she got older. She had arthritis and also reduced sight- she managed to step in but then just seemed to get stuck facing straight in and wouldn't realize she wasn't right in the tray. Her pee would end up on the floor. Her poop managed to get caught in the tray, presumably because she held herself in a slightly different position for that and her butt pointed down a bit more. I started to put puppy training pads down tucked under the front end of the box so it protected the floor and was easy to clear away.